What happens with ankle fusion after failed replacement

Posted , 3 users are following.

What happens when fusion is done after failed ankle replacement and any problems and how long to be pain free.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would first address the real reason or reasons why your TAR was not successful and then consider very carefully the advantages that a fusion IF successful MIGHT over a TAR.

When my four year old TAR failed as the result of poor surgery I was offered a fusion but I turned it down for the reasons I went the TAR route before. It is a decision only you can make of course but you need to weight up many factors and be prepared to talk to several well proven ankle revision surgeons at DIFFERENT centres before making your decision.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

i had a TAR which lasted just under 10 years. Then my ankle collapsed completely. I had a fusion in March 2018. The alternative was amputation in all honesty. it was a long slow process but I am now through it. I can even climb up a ladder into the back of a boat with full SCUBA gear on. The lack of pain on most days is priceless. but it took at 20 months for me.

• Posted

Oh my God.. that's too long .. was the pain easier to walk tho after couple of months.. I can't put foot down at the minute and if I stand its 30 minutes and I'm done. Did they take bone from your hip for fusion or.. ?? I wish I'd looked into replacement more before I had it done thanks.

• Posted

Thanks for your posting Jude. After my original TAR I was doing ladder work for four years carrying heavy stone tiles up ladders and laying them. Following my TAR revision nearly two years ago I can do Iadder work and carry on life as if I've not had a new ankle and nobody can tell either. I have had a hip revision on the other side three years ago as I wore out the polly insert after twenty years of heavy building and farming work. Basically I carry on without any issues but I do not run though I can! One does have to know what is sensible and what is not as I greatly value complete mobility. Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.