What Has Helped or Cured Your Heart Palps?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've had A Fib bouts but I get heart palps every day (feel skipped beats and hard heartbeats when beats are catching up)

I am not on any medication as my doctor doesn't think the palps are serious and a 2 week monitor didn't catch A Fib. I have caught A Fib/SVT at a hospital and also on my KardiaApp.

My heart problems are almost always tied to trapped gas and my vagus nerve.

What has helped you? Whether it be medication, surgery, etc

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I found a simple breathing exercise has helped me with skipped beats. Just sit comfortably and breath in to the count of five and then breath out to the count of five. This will effectively slow down your breathing rate to six complete breaths per minute. Do it for five minutes. Not a permanent cure but I have noticed it seems to even things out at least temporarily, if not completely, at least fewer skipped beats. Ideally, when you breath in, it's a complete yoga type breath where the abdomen pushes out on the inhale while you feel the lungs fill from the bottom to the top. I slightly lift my chest when I reach the end of the inhale. The exhale is the opposite and the abdomen gets pushed in. I wouldn't get too hung up on technique in the beginning but the basics are to take complete breaths, slowed down to six a minute, and to do it for five minutes.

Jim

• Posted

Hi Again Chickenloop,

I had palpitations irregularly over a couple of years, then in 2016 had two significant episodes of what I am now told was atrial flutter; fatigue, racing heart, no energy characterised the two episodes. All through this period I had put both the palpitations and the episodes down to my stomach, wind, belching etc.

Two weeks after seeing my GP and having an arrhythmia diagnosed, I had a stroke, even before having the chance to see a cardiologist. To treat the arrhythmia I had an ablation in June last year, and had no further episodes of AF either before or after the ablation. However I did get the palpitations similar to those you describe after the ablation, maybe not every day, but quite regularly, and usually after eating.

Having read a lot on this and other forums, it was clear that many people that experience palpitations, assign the cause to digestive problems via the vagus nerve. Many have received little acknowledgement of this phenomena from their GP, and many have suggested taking the FODMAP diet approach. I realised that I had had digestive problems going back ten years or so, regular acid reflux, bloating and belching. Two endoscopies had revealed nothing sinister fortunately, and so I took a slightly different approach and saw a nutritionist/dietitian.

An allergy/intolerance test last September revealed an intolerance to dairy products, and so I have removed all dairy products from my diet, and the improvement is significant. It will most likely be different for you, but the principle is that I have massively reduced my digestive problems and I haven't had any significant palpitations for months now. I am even off the protein-pump inhibitor medication (Omeprazole), which hopefully I can continue to avoid. I am on anti-coagulants for life, so it's OK as long as I don't cut myself shaving.

In hindsight I had just two episodes of arrhythmia that I was aware of, but that was enough to cause a blood clot to develop around my heart, break free and zap a few brain cells which has caused a small visual impairment, permanent but not life changing fortunately.

Some way further down the road I have now changed my diet, and I feel much better for it, I have even discovered some tasty foods that I wouldn't have otherwise tried.

Good Luck

Sherpa Al

• Posted

Sort out your digestion first ,eat small helpings , avoid any food that bloats you., and don't eat at night. Cut down on too many carbs and avoid sweet things especially chocolate . This makes a huge difference.

• Posted

Hi chickenloop,

?I had 2 and half years of palpitations prior to AF. I often went for an ECG but nothing showed up - well it wouldn't would it because by the time I got to my GP it had all subsided. Then came Atrial flutter which converted to Atrial Fibrillation.

Many, many months after diagnosis (for which I was prescribed Bisoprolol) I realised that an AF event followed food I'd eaten.

?My GP had blood tests done for IBS and Coeliac Disease - all clear. I then consulted a Nutritionist who confirmed my own belief that it was a food/digestive/vagal nerve issue.

?She got me to go Gluten, Wheat and Oats free immediately and taught me about food diaries .... so now the range of foods that upset me are very wide ranging and often vary from foods that one might expect to cause a problem to some that are out of left field - yoghurt to raspberries and cream to runner beans. Thing is with food it is a trial and error thing - hence the food diary - there is no common cure for each of us. Yes, there will be patterns but we are all different and respond differently to different foods.

?I still get the occasional palpitation but no AF since April 2015.

John

• Posted

I am so glad to hear you figured it out! I also went the same route with the food diary and elimination diet to solve my IBS/GERD. Unfortunately even on my restrictive long term diet my issues with my heart have started, I think due to alcohol (which I have now quit entirely). I am not trying low carb to see if it solves it (have read some stuff saying it could)( and so far it is better than it was but I was still in A Fib last night before bed.

I have this really handy device called Kardia App by AliveCor that I use. It can tell you when you are in A Fib and seems to be pretty reliable. It shows you an ECG which you can email to your doctor., or do like I do and email it to myself and keep a folder of them. I will be printing them off and giving to my doctor. A two week holter did not catch any A Fib but did catch palps and premature beats, etc. The doctor was not worried and did not prescribe me anything which I think might have been a mistake because the A Fib and palps are getting worse.

• Posted

What has helped me is cutting out all alcohol and most caffiene. Also avoiding stressful situations and conflicts. Probably one of the main things though is eating much small meals and NEVER filling myself up or anywhere near it. 
    • Posted

Same! And my diet is crazy strict. I am actually on a poultry and greens diet right now with tons of bone broth as I have heard that low carb can help. I only ever eat small meals. I do tend to have a little bit of food within 3 hours of bed, I am noticing A fib or flutter before bed now so I will NOT be eating before bed at all anymore.

No caffeine or alcohol, no smoking etc. I quit it all!!

• Posted

How do you know it's "afib or flutter" as opposed to a more benign and common dysrhythmia like PACs? For me, my PACs sometimes do seem associated with food but so far it hasn't been an afib trigger as best as I can figure out with so many variables. I recently got a Kardia Mobile afib monitor. The few times I felt I was in afib turned out I wasn't. It was just the PACs. If you're not sure, it's a great device to consider rather than running to your doctor for an ekg all the time.

Jim

• Posted

I have that app lol smile

Unless it is wrong, it has been picking up A Fib frequently. The other night it was a few hours long. It seems reliable, my husband used it and got normal results. 

I have saved all my ECGs from when it says I am in A FIB and will be showing them to my doctor. Perhaps it is another kind of arrythmia but the Kardia App does say that it is "Possible A Fib"

What do the PACS show up as on the ECG? Does it say A Fib, or Unclassified?? Nice to talk to someone else who has the app!!

• Posted

When I get heart palps the Kardia App will tell me that it is Unclassified and I can see the premature and/or strong beats on the ECG. A Fib looks different from the heart palps. I am not very good at reading ECGs though but they do look quite different.

I told my doctor about the app so that she could recommend it to people with A Fib. I have some complaints about the app but overall it is a great tool.

• Posted

Hi Sassysass,

I agree with jimjames, palps (PACs) are different from Afib, and often if I have palps I will get the "Unclassified" reading on the Kardia app. However I can see an extra beat on the ECG reading, shaped quite differently to the normal beat. The once or twice I have been in a moderate flutter the device has read "Possible Atrial Fibrillation", and has felt quite different from the post meal palpitations.

Best Wishes

• Posted

If it says unclassified it hasn't been able to read your ECG but even then if you are in AF it will tell you.

• Posted

"Unclassified" just means the machine won't classify it. Sometimes it's because of PACs or PVCs and sometimes because your pulse is over 100 or under 60, I believe. But the ekg tracing is still accurate and their technician or cardiologist (for a fee) can tell you what it means. Or you can email it to your doctor. Or, with a little practice, you can pretty much tell yourself. If you see the "p" waves preceding each beat, then you're not in afib.

Jim

• Posted

If the Kardia says "possible AFib" then it's probably Afib. Still, you should email them to a doctor for confirmation. Either Kardia's cardiologist for a fee, or your own doc.

I've had "unclassified" several times. Once it was because my HR was above 100. The other times it was because of PACs. That said, I've had the Kardia tell me that I'm in normal sinus rhythm but I still noticed a few PACs myself.

I'm not sure if "unclassified" could ever be afib, but if you can't read the tracings yourself (not that difficult with a little research) then I'd send the unclassified to either Kardia's tech, doctor, or your own cardiologist. Probably best to send it to a cardiologist or ep doc and not your GP. GPs aren't the greatest reading EKG's unless their machine tells them what they're looking at!

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.