What has helped with the pain.

Posted , 6 users are following.

So i just wanted to share the things that have really helped me cope with gallstone pain! Im still awaiting my surgery date but hopefully it wont take much longer.

My attacks have been happening ever since i had my daughter 5 months ago. At first the pain wasnt so bad and over time its eventually got worse. About a month ago i was hospitalised for obstructive jaundice (a gallstone had moved and got stuck in my common bile duct) lots of pain meds and fluids eventually helped with that.

Anyways back to the point my list of things that helped me are:

1) A home remidie- 8oz of apple juice mixed with 2 table spoons of organic apple cider vingar. I found this worked amazingly- pain went from a 11/10 to a 2/10 sometimes even better then that in the space of about 15 mins! This really really works well i found.

2) a combination of medication- coadine, paracetamol and ibprophen. This concoction works within about 20-30 mins for me. It makes me incredably woozie and sleepy so i would not recommend taking this if your are responsible for children etc.

3) A piping hot bath. As hot as you can mange it. With doesnt give me relief forver. Just whist im in the tub. So if you need temporary relief and fast id reccomend this. Perhaps while your waiting for pain meds to kick in. Also a very hot bottle on the gallbladder area works for me for some minor relief.

4) Finally i found that a very hot shower running directly between the shoulder blades give relief fairly well!

For 3 and 4 please ensure you dont scold yourself (just go as hot as you can manage without hurting yourself)

I just wanted to share incase theres anyone on here looking for ideas to help give relief of the awful pain. If all else fails head to the emergancy department. (They give you great pain relief in the form of morphine!)

I dont know if any of this would work for anyone else but this is what has helped me. I hope it brings you some relief too.

If anyone else has anything that helps them maybe you could add to the list for future gallbladder/gallstone sufferes!

No matter your problem i hope it gets better soon!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have been praising Apple Cider Vinegar on this forum several times, but my posts always ends up being taken down (I am not sure why). 

ACV Works wonders alone, but with a heating pad its even better. 

I was never able to get a diagnosis even though I had many different tests done (except a HIDA scan, which was the only thing I wanted/needed), so I had to figure out everything on my own. Today I am so much better with attacks far between (and much less painful when I do have them), and I believe they will one day be something of the past.

The tips I can give to people with undiagnosed GB problems:

- Apple Cider Vinegar and a heating pad works wonders during an attack

- Do NOT go on a low fat diet. You need to stimulate GB contractions.

- Eat healthy fats. Start small and work your way up. Fats are vital! 

- Diet and regular exercise is key (Eat smaller but more frequent meals)

- Start juicing

- Cut out refined carbs and junk in general. (Very important)

- Eat a ton of vegetables 

- Supplement with certain herbs and roots (A google search will tell you which ones)

I used to have painful GB attacks at least once every month, but more often than that I would end up having multiple attacks in that timeframe. I also had all kinds of GI problems, including IBS.

It is important to note that I did try the traditional way of getting better, by going to my GP and getting tested further. I advice everybody to do that. However it is also important to note that just because they give up, that doesn't mean nothing can be done.

In my case, my condition progressed over many years. It started out being IBS, which lead to biliary dyskinesia on top of that. I was lucky I didn't develop gallstones, so I had the opportunity to go out and help myself, since no doctor could. I am not completely in the clear yet, but I am not far from it.

So my advice to anyone would be to see your doctor, but do your own research and try to help yourself along the way. 

To you Heather, I hope the surgery will be a success and that it will be the end of your problems! 

Tom

• Posted

Also, thank you. I really hope the surgery helps me too! Hoping it wont take toooo much longer to get a date. The waiting is the hardest part i think xx
    • Posted

hi Tom, when you got diagnosed with bilary dyskensia? i  for me around 2007 i was said IBS, then in 2011 i did hida scan and they said bilary dyskensia. In 2017 october , i formed gallstones. I also got other symptoms like dizziness/imbalance. Please let me know when you got diagnosed for bilary dyskensia and do you have any dizziness/imblance/lightheaded symptoms? 
  • Posted

Hi Heather, what was your symptoms during your attack like? Just curious. X
    • Posted

Hi Hanna.

When my symptoms get really bad, i get sever upper right quadrant pain (like under my boob). It then radiates towards my back and shoulder. Super super painful. Like someones twisting a knife in the chest! Ive also experienced vomiting (purely because i dont think my body could deal with the pain it was in). Then there are the shakes, and sweats!

Honestly cant sit still during an attack and it is impossible to find a position that is comfortable! However, having said that, the methods of pain relief i have used do work wonders most of the time for me.

Are you suffering with symptoms?

Have you tired any of my above ideas for pain relief? Xxx

• Posted

I am going to try the apple juice remedy today, I started slimming world a couple of months ago and the pain has been horrific, only just been to the doctors and they are sending me for a scan she's pretty certain its gall stones so hopefully I will be able to manage the pain until surgery, thanks for sharing x

• Posted

Hi,

Im glad your going to give the AVC a go. Honestly, im not sure why it works but it does. Its amazing. I was sceptical about it when i first read about it but my god was i wrong. It working in minutes! How long have you been experiencing the pain? I had my gallbladder removed about 2 months ago now. So glad its over! I hooe yours is over soon too. Its a horrible thing!

• Posted

Hayley,

Did you try the ACV? Has it worked for you at all? Let me know? smile x

• Posted

I have used chamomile tea to deal with the pain, it really worked for me, it takes just 10-15minutes to get rid of the pain.

Good luck with the surgery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.