WHAT HAVE I DONE

Posted , 21 users are following.

omg

i had my tkr a week ago and feel apart from the intense vomiting post op that there is very little improvement.

i want my old leg back

i want to be able to sleep

i want my back bum and hips to stop hurting

im trying so hard with my exercises

i keep crying ..think cos im soooo tired

really wish i had not done this and managed with my old pain

sorry for the moan

someone please tell me it will get better

xx

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

YES!!! it gets better but it is a long recovery ! I am at week 13 and just starting to feel better! I am still stiff at night but can sleep without ice pack finally. Short term totally sucks long term so worth it! HANG in there!!!

• Posted

I'm 8 weeks and I understand your frustration Take your meds before you exercise and ice well after It will get better I promise but you have to put in the work or the scar tissue will take over and make things more difficult than they need to be . I found a body pillow hells to get comfortable enough to sleep good luck

• Posted

It really will get better, I think many people in the early stages of recovery wish they never had the op. Use your medication to try and control pain, take it as prescribed don't try and put up with pain. Its good you are trying hard with your exercises that really helps, but don't over do it. Ice is also your friend. Recovery takes time, can't tell how long, nobody can every recovery is different, but you will get there in the end and have many pain free years to look forward to. it's 20 years and 18½ years since my TKRs and they are both still ok.

• Posted

Yes. At least it has for me, now at 13 weeks post pkr. The early weeks were tough, sore and full of medication for me. It was all I could do to get my exercises done in a day. However, my knee is getting better all the time and I now believe I was right to have the surgery. I do still have days when I feel down about some aspect but I tend then to look up my symptoms on here and generally someone else has had a similar experience and I keep coming back to similar advice: do the exercises, take the medication you need, prioritise rest and allow your knee the time it needs to heal. It will go at its own pace. You will get there!

• Posted

In the long run it will be so worth it . I took pain pills for about 3 weeks at night to sleep. I also slept on my back with my ice machine on all night. I am coming up on 7 months post op and doing really well. Wish I had exercised more, but hindsight is 20/20 . It is a long recovery.Hang in there & use ice .

• Posted

HI

I HAD MY KNEE DONE OVER A YEAR AGO. Every day I SAY THE SAME THING YOU DO. WHY DID I DO THIS. I want my old knee back. ALL I can say to you is in time the pain and suffering will get better.

I've decided that there is nothing I CAN DO ABOUT IT now so I must accept it. I DO walk better. they save the other one had to be done but believe me that will never happen . I wish you luck and good health and just don’t stop doing the exercises they are very very important to keep the knee OK .

• Posted

Hi Penny we have all been where you are don't despair! I now 7 months on and waiting to have the other one done! I was on pain killers for 3.5 months. The operated leg still feels stiff and tight sometimes but I do not get the dreadful pain that I am now experiencing in the un operated leg!

Take a day at a time do your exercises and use ice every 2 hours for 20mins to reduce the swelling. The recovery takes time its a big op but you will recover!

Keep going!

• Posted

I am sorry that you are feeling this way, but completely understand how you feel. I too felt the same way for 8 weeks. I am now 13 weeks out from my partial and things have gotten better but there is still alot of work to be done. I am far from feeling 100%, but i take it week by week. wish someone would have told you this recovery was this long, huh? wishing you well and hang in there!

• Posted

Poor you. I am day 7 today too. I agree nothing prepares you for the muscle pain. Tears, yes I have had them too. However on the plus side knee feels amazing so there must be a light somewhere at the end of the tunnel! We need to keep in touch to compare.

• Posted

hi Sue yes it will be good to have someone to compare and keep up with and cry to lol xx seems normal from replies to feel so crap about it all at this stage xx

• Posted

I don't think it is a good idea to compare one recovery against another. Every recovery is different. Its not a linear process there are ups and downs, sometimes 1 step forward 2 steps back, other times it may be 3 steps forward 0 steps back. Read other posts on this site you will find many different stories and not all are bad, you will also find some good advise and encouragement. We are never told before the surgery what the recovery will be like or how long it may take, I think if we were fewer people would have the op. Don't despair you will get there in the end and be glad you had your tkr.

• Posted

reading you post brings back memories , nearly 5 years post op and I still find things I can do without really thinking about it till after I've done it , hang in there ,

• Posted

how long have you to wear your ted stockings for sue and are u on aspirin or enoxaparin xx

• Posted

Hi Penny . No socks for me just injections in tummy! Lots of paracetamol and stretches today. Got a system going.. How are you todayx

• Posted

hi Sue

im doing better ty....i think its appalling that they dont address the things you may need like stool for shower...wheelchair to go out...bed topper to ease my poor hip as i can only sleep on one side and most importantly the depression which comes with suddenly not being able to do much xx

im a nurse and holistic care has always been the main componant but sadly lacking with this experience xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.