What have people tried for headaches/ migraine with success ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I have been suffering for a number of years with migraine/ tension headaches & tried so many medications with no relief at all.

I'm at the end of my teather & can't take anymore sad

Please can you let me know if you have had any result with anything i really would appreciate any help.

Thank you

Butterfly x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Butterfly,

I have also suffered from chronic daily headaches and migraines for the past 8 years.  A lot of the time it is hormonal for me, I am 48 and going through Perimenopause.  What has saved my life are the Triptan class of medications.  I don't know if you have heard of them.  Imitrex is very popular, I take Relpax and have also taken Emerge.  If you can go to a Neurologist  I am sure they could prescribe one of these to you.  In the meantime try to stay away from salt additives like MSG which is found in many food especially Chinese food, also be careful not to get dehydrated or miss meals.  I hope this helps you, good luck!!!!!

• Posted

Jennifer's right, a lot of headaches are hormonal. It's worth keeping a diary. A GP can prescribe tablets to take at the onset of a headache. They do something to the blood vessels ( either constrict or dilate--can't remember which) and they stop the headache in 30 minutes.

its worth looking at what you're eating too. Most of my migraines, if not all, were caused by food items. Pineapple, orange juice, ginger, chocolate, coffee, any spices and so on.

for over the counter meds it looks like Syndol is available again. I always foubd it worked well.

• Posted

Hello to everyone & thank you so much  for your replies. I will jot down all the names given & ask my GP. I have also been refered to the neuro so just waiting on that. It is such a daily struggle & can't wait to see them.

Butterfly x

• Posted

I checked online and although Syndol is back on sale it isn't the same as previously.

the muscle relaxant has been left out so it's effectively paracetamol, codeine and caffeine. It may work for you though.

• Posted

Me also, i get migraines for other reasons but my menstruation ones are worst. i take emerge and bamm gone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.