What help can I get for my 18 year old for depression if he doesn't want help ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My 18 year old son is suffering from anxiety /depression and I have seen messages (which he doesn't know)saying he wants to kill himself but on the other hand he is out with friends.

Can I ask his doctor to refer him to a pschciatric assessment? He is  on mediation and sleeps in the daytime alot. Quit his job and college, went for one counselling session, one hypnotherapy session then refuses to go to any others.

Feel helpless as a parent of an adult, any suggestions please?

2 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Honeybee.

    I really empathise with you on this one. It is a tricky area. Are you able to get any copies of the notes that you've seen re him wanting to kill himself? If you are able to get copies then great. If not, then you still need to speak to his Doctor and see how they can help. If they think there is serious risk of harm they will get involved...that does not necessarily mean you will be entitled to know what's happening.

    I hope this helps. Just bite the bullet and take it to his personal physician.

    All the best, S.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Honeybee,

    As Tango said, it may be helpful for you to speak to his GP, especially, if you are all in the same practice.  The difficultly, I guess, is at the age of 18 he will be classed as an adult and as such will be afforded his right to privacy.  Maybe you could find out the telephone number for your local Crisis Team / Mental Health Trust and see if they could give you some advice on how to help me. Sometimes, it is really hard to help someone who doesn't want to be helped.

    Good luck!  Hugs xx

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up