What help could I get?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all, I'm looking for some advise I'm a 29 year old male I have Degenerative disc disease, musculoskeletal, due to my limited mobility I'm obese at 28 stone, I suffer from anxiety and depression due to my size and my on going health problems, I am on a lot of meds like tramadol, ibuprofen, anti depressants, salbutamol for my nebulizer, blue pump as and when needed, my dad helps me with every day needs like helping me in the shower and toilet needs ect, I use a aid to walk due to my size and back condition I can't move very fast due to becoming very breathless, i don't go out by myself as I need help as sometimes my knees have give way on me, I have applied for pip I had a assessment the lady was very nice seemed to understand my needs and she said there was no need for a physical examination and the same for my ESA assessment I'm just worried why they didn't want a physical examination did they dout me? Or happy on what they see and what I told them? Sorry to ramble on just very much on edge waiting on a descion can they dout my conditions I know my size is visible ect. Any advice would be nice thanks all.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi I think this is good news not bad.  Some conditions they don't need to assess you for and you automatically get the benefit.  Maybe this is the case for you?   Hope so. 

My sister has severe osteoarthitis and didn't have to attend for an assessment this time round.  She was kept on the same benefit.  x

• Posted

Hello there I had to go for a face to face assessment, I'm new to pip and esa I don't know if I will get anything with my conditions, what help does your sister receive? I have to have injection into my back at a pain clinic at present.
    • Posted

My sister is on ESA support group.  She also gets DLA lower rate for mobility.  When PIP comes to this area she will have to apply that instead.  What group you will be put into depends entirely on how your illness affects you and you can't really compare yourself to others,

My sister walks with a stick due to back problems,  her legs all swell up and her hands too.  She is on tramadol,  gabepentin and even has some oramorth for emergencies.  She is in constant pain and can't walk very far. 

She used to have injections in her big toe but doesn't anymore.

I hope you get the right results.  x

• Posted

My sister walks with a stick due to back problems,  her legs all swell up and her hands too.  She is on tramadol,  gabepentin and even has some oramorth for emergencies.  She is in constant pain and can't walk very far.

None of that actually matters for PIP.

I take 300mg Pregbalin a day, 100mg Morphine every 12 hours, as much oramorph as I need - and that is just for the pain.

But unfortunately that lot would not give me any points for PIP.

• Posted

Hi les, sorry to hear your sister is in a lot of pain the lady said she believed I should be in the support group just have to wait and see, all the best les.
    • Posted

Well she got lower rate DLA on that so I don't see why she wouldn't qualify for PIP.   If she can't walk 20 metres without great difficulty or stand up to do a meal that would, or using her hands to do it that would certainly get her points.   It's the things she can't do as a result of her condition and pain

that counts ie how it affects her life. 

You obviously aren't as disabled as her if you can do more. 

• Posted

I was making a point in saying that

(a) it doesn't matter what medication you take - none of it will give you points.

(b) the abilities/disabilities should be described AFTER taking the medication.

(c) I was in receipt of DLA Middle Care/High Mobility) but I realised that even the evidence that was produced over the years to support that award (since 1995 - indefinitely but with reviews) would give me a maximum of 4 points under PIP.

Hence why it would have been a waste of my time and that of the DWP if I took up the offer for conversion to PIP from DLA.

Incidentally, I actually do have difficulties walking anything more than a few yards - but see those difficulties as a challenge to break through them.

• Posted

Hi dean01711,

All of the things you mention are obviously disabling in themselves but, most would be attributed to your need to loose weight. i.e. your depressed because you see yourself as obese which could translate as , if I loose weight I wont be depressed any more. Your breathing difficulties may also be because your heart is working overtime to keep up with the extra weight. Your poor legs will give way and feel painful if they are carrying extra weight.

All of these problems could be aleviated if you were placed into a support group to encourage you to lose weight and improve your self image.

Depression, I know, is a terrible, terrible place to be and I do hope you get councilling to help, make sure your gp gives you the help you need.

Good luck for the future.

• Posted

Hi Mike 100% agree if I could lose some weight it would help a lot, but due to the pain and getting out of breath its very hard to exercise, im now on a low calorie diet to which I have lost just over a stone I know it don't sound much but it's a little bit of hope that I can help myself get better. Thanks Mike all the best.
    • Posted

Losing over a stone is a great achievement Dean! It shows that you can do it; stick with it. Hugs razz
    • Posted

Thanks Georgia means a lot I know big people don't get the best reception but I am trying very hard to help myself x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.