What help is available

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I wonder if anyone can help?

My wife is 61 and has cancer. Currently I am caring for her but will be returning to work soon, and I believe she needs quite a lot of care.

Due to her illness she often suffers from confusion (with dementia-like symptoms), and this can come on at any time and cannot be cured.

Does anyone know how much home care is available for someone in this situation? Or would she be expected to go into a home?

Thanks. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Alan, I am so sorry to read your news. Ok I dont know which part of the country your from. But I would suggest that you give your social services team a call. Make a list out of what you would like.Eg if you need some one to pop in and help your wife in the mornings. Age UK also a good port of call. Machmillian cancer people, they will know where you can get help. Also maybe the Hospital will have a treatment room for things like Reflexology/massage. Maybe this will help your wife. Thinking of you. Hope this helps Regards Amanda.Ps No one should have to go into a home. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.

The trouble with social services, and even care from charities, is that they won't do anything until the time comes; but I really need to know now what we can get so I can decide if I need to give up work.

Social services will take ages doing assessments, by which time it will be too late. So I'm in a bit of a quandry.

• Posted

You need to get an assesment done on your wife, ring social services, adult service, and explain, hope all goes well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.