What helped me- Recurring abcesses in groin on buttocks around anus and pubic area

Posted , 3 users are following.

Wow I'ts such a relief to know Im not the only one who has had these! I too have been suffering with these horrendous painful lumps since the age of about 14. I hid them for a while, not daring to tell anyone as I was so embarassed. I always drained these myself at home with a needle- to be honest the pain of this was far less than the actual lump and the relief once the fluid came out was immense- however I would not recommend you do this unless you are very careful! I always made sure the needle or razor blade was completely sterile, kept a lot of tissues or cotton pads on hand, and ensured that the area was thoroughly clean before and after. The risk is the infection going deeper and getting into your bloodstream so I would suggest going to a healthcare provider.

Allthough this relieved immediate symptons they would always return and spread. The first time I built up the courage to speak to anyone else I was around 19 and the doctors then told me it was due to my underwear (I was advised to only wear cotton) and down to hygiene. I bath or shower every single day, and when suffering with an abcess ( They are always in my groin, around my pubic bone or the buttocks and around my anus) I would also wash/ apply cold cloth up to an extra 5 times per day. I did explain this to the doctor who then said it was just one of those things I would have to live with.

I eventually built up the courage again to speak to another GP at about age 23. By then I was covered in scars and too embarrased to show my body to anyone. This GP was more helpful, and prescribed Lymecyline antibiotics as a way of prevention- I generally dont react well to antibiotics so was reluctant to take them, however I was getting to the point where I would honestly do anything to prevent the severe pain I was constantly in! I can honestly say its the best thing I have ever had. They are a fairly mild antibiotic so I had none of my usual reaction ( The runs, feeling tired and generally rubbish) and you can have the occasional drink without too much problem! 

Within 2 weeks I was no longer getting these horrible painful lumps ( It had got to the point where I had been getting a new one every 2-3 days!) However if I forget to take these Lymecycline tablets for a few days, I get an instant painful reminder that I need them. I am lucky to live in theUK where I get a pre pay prescription certificate for around £12 per month so these are just added to the rest of my meds and its fairly cheap- however for the relief they give me I would be more than happy to pay more if I had to!

Hope this helps someone out there so they don't end up as scarred, or suffering in pain as long as I did before I found them!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I have only discovered this web site today and I feel a lot better seeing that  my symptoms appear to be normal. Just over two weeks ago I have an abcess drained and a fistula worked on. Couldnt believe how painful the next few days were. I didnt have any packing and it has only just calmed down. Still painful after passing stools however soft, I have been washing every time as the wound is very close to my sphincter and still very sensitive. I was on a course of antibiotics for the a week. How long before the discharge stops? It isnt smelly but light greenish and I have to wear the pads all the time.
    • Posted

Hi

Everyone is different, I had a seton in place so mine always drained until it was fully healed. It depends  on how big the wound is and how quickly your body is able to heal, could be days or weeks. I'll say it again eating completely healthy for a few weeks will really help the healing process. Vegetables, Vegetables, Vegetables. Good luck, let us know how you get on please.

• Posted

Hello, good to hear you are now getting the help you need, you should not have to go through this on your own. So many of us are saying this on this forum but how is your diet? Do you eat healthily? Take care and I hope you are clear of this soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.