What if I already had Herpes?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband recently cheated on me and unfortunately, we discovered, that we now have herpes. I'm currently experiencing the first breakout, very painful. This women he had an affair with claims she didn't have it since she recently just had a healthy baby. My husband and I just had a healthy baby as well.(so we're like, we didn't have it before), but she's saying the same. I've been doing a lot a research, and I told this woman, maybe she didn't know she had it because some people never experience breakouts, my husband isn't even having a breakout. She claims her doctor did a full on std tests and her doctor has not said anything to her. I told her that if she didn't have a breakout her doctor wouldn't check, unless asked for, but she says or thinks otherwise. I too thought I was checked for everything, but I still have questions to ask my doctor. I'm concern , if we already had it and didn't know. My doctor says the reason for my breakout would be because my immune system is weak, New baby and breastfeeding. But I've had 2 other children and breastfed them and never experienced this. I'm concerned though, is there a possibility to have herpes and not have a breakout until years later? My husband and I have been married for 3 years and 7 months. My husband believe this woman is lying, I think she didn't know she had it, because apparently the father of her child cheats on her. It all wouldn'tmake since, if we have always had it and now after an affair, I have breakouts. Did it just then come from her??

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

No

I think you did not have it for years.

Maybe the other woman does not know that she has the virus because she also contracted it recently.

• Posted

If you are having an outbreak right now at this very moment, you can prove whether it's a new or existing infection, but you need to get tested asap, as the test window is small.

Basically, you need to confirm that it is herpes by swab (I'm assuming that's what you already did; which type is it?), and you also need to do the HSV IgG (not IgM) antibody test.

Positive swab + negative IgG = new infection

Outsource swab + positive IgG = existing infection (had it for at least 3 months, maybe years)

You will start developing detectable levels of HSV IgG anytime from a month onwards, definitely by 3 months, so you need to do the IgG test asap if you really want to know. IgG remains for life, so once positive, always positive.

• Posted

*Positive, not outsource! Stupid autocorrect, lol.
    • Posted

Type 2 and how small of a window? My Dr only spoke of the antibody test
    • Posted

Within a month or so from infection (usually indicated by the first outbreak), so test for IgG asap. If you already tested for IgG and were found to be positive, then it's not "new" and you've had it for at least a couple of months or so, likely much longer. By the way, you didn't say how you were diagnosed.

• Posted

After a lot of intercourse, I had pain that seemed like it was from friction, I went to see my ON, she diagnosed me with looking external and internal. I 've read, that most Dr don't really need to do anything else to know that's what it is.

• Posted

Visual diagnoses are prone to error. Herpes comes in many guises, some of which look like other ailments and vice versa.

If you want to know whether your suspected case of herpes is new, then you need to prove that it is indeed herpes, so you should get it swabbed immediately and do the IgG test at the same time. The swab test loses accuracy with each passing day.

It is also important and useful to know the HSV type, assuming it is herpes A visual diagnosis can't distinguish between Type 1 and Type 2. She should really have swabbed you during your initial visit to both back up her visual diagnosis and determine type.

• Posted

I know she swabbed , she sent for a culture. She tested for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea, through a urine sample. And blood work. Their closed on the weekends, so I'll call Monday. But I'm wondering, what breakout could be similar to herpes and, she said it's on my cervix.

• Posted

She could be correct, but much better with actual test results as confirmation. So, she drew blood for the IgG test the same day? That's good , if she did. Saves you another trip to the doctor's!

• Posted

But I'm calling Monday, because I want to know for sure.

• Posted

I called the Dr office. Tested negative for everything else even for the antibodies, but Ittested positive for the swab of herpes. Hsv Simplex type 1
    • Posted

Do anyone recommend Lidocaine(used to numb the area) or use the other Acyclovir,which is in pill and cream?
    • Posted

If the pain is bothersome or intolerable, topical lidocaine is good to use. Oral acyclovir is preferred over topical ayclovir, but I actually like using the cream (not ointment). May help with healing, but does nothing to reduce transmission. I'm single, so that works for me at the mo.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.