What if Urolift does not work?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had the Urolift March 25 and my flow is a little worse and I have an unpleasant sensation in the Prostate area after almost 4 months now.

FYI, I have had a frequent urination problem most of my life and at 42 I had Urologist tell me to be thankful I had good kidneys. Now in my late 70's I went back to a Urologist thinking maybe my enlarged prostate might be making the problem worse. I explained that my flow was fine for me but the urgency and frequency seemed to be getting worse. I tried just about every medicine including Flomax and Alfusion with various side effects. The only thing that has helped is Mybetriq for an Over-Active-Bladder but it stopped working after six months. My doctor doubled the dosage but it caused serious side effects.

My last visit to my Urologist suggested that he could remove the clips and do a partial TURP. My first thought is that if the Urolift failed then will the partial TURP work, and can he do it to prevent the retro ejaculation problem.

I go back for another visit in August to discuss options, but in the meantime I am researching and reading everything I can about medicines and procedures---including this forum. I did not like Flomax for the retro ejaculation side effect but recently I read about taking the medicine every other day would eliminate the retro problem and still work, so I am trying that now.

Cystoscopy's and Bladder Pressure Test I have had have revealed my Bladder has been and is working hard; so my Urologist said there is some blockage and releaving that would allow my bladder to relax and heal and I would get better. Now that the Urolift has failed I now do not trust my doctor that a TURP will work. I feel my flow is OK for me and so I think I will only have the TURP or other procedure done only after I AM HAVING TO URINATE THROUGH A CATHETER.

Any feedback might be helpful but I wish Urologist's would read these and provide some feedback.

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You have not said if you ever had a cystoscopy to see what is happening inside.

• Posted

I have had two of them awake and there was a little discomfort, otherwise I found it interesting that you can ask questions about what you and the doctor are seeing. The first one I had several years ago I was put to sleep and now wonder why since it is so easy. No discomfort for me after the procedure.

• Posted

Thanks, I am taking notes and preparing questions for my August visit with my Urologist. He may find me to be his worse patient ever with all the knowledge I am gathering.

• Posted

Hi Jim,

When he says he can take the clips out I think that only means they cut off the end in the Urethra that they can get to. It leaves the line and other end still in you somewhere.

I too have had continual pain since Urolift. After 9 months, still feels sore/bruised, as though something is pulling, catching in the area of the prostate.

I have posted more replies under the 'Urolift' thread by 'Stephenxxxx'

Here is a copy and paste of my recent check to see about the pain and continual retention of urine (260ml). BTW I mention the flow test however the machine didn't record the results as it wasn't working properly so no idea; but on previous occasions it has been 10ml/sec.

"

Had my cystoscopy and a flow test. The urologist doesn't know why I have pain; says clips may heal over with more time; may improve with another procedure (see below); may just be nerves settling down. He did confirm that the cystscopy showed no clips had entered the bladder which is a relief. Guess I'll have to live with it; hopefully not for the rest of my life.

He said he went on a course in May last year for treating median lobe using urolift. Mine was done in October and he says since then the technique has been revised to use 2 lower clips at 4 and 8 o-clock positions instead of just one at 5-o-clock. The median lobe has grown around either side of the lower clip and is pushing up into the bladder neck and cutting flow again. He recommends a hot-wireTURP to remove the material pushing up the bladder neck though I have at least a 6 month wait for that second procedure. RE is quite likely. He said he could try two more Urolift clips in instead but I don't want to go through all that pain and recovery again for another failed op. TBH i'm so tired and bladder gets uncomfortable that sex is the last thing on my mind most of the time so if I get RE, then thats the road I took.

In summary I tried for PAE but my prostate is too small. Tried Urolift but not much improvement; maybe the 'revised technique' would have had a better outcome. Now it looks like I end up with a TURP anyway as the best solution.

As an aside, I see NICE now recommend Rezum for a median lobe (not Urolift) but my Uro doesn't do that and my prostate is too small as the lower cut -off for Rezum is 30g and I'm 28g."

• Posted

Thanks for the info, sounds a lot like me with the Urolift failure. I watched my Cystocospy after the Urolift and what I saw was puckers between the clips, which I think is the reason I have a worse flow after the Urolift. I am hoping he will remove the clips in the Urethra since my flow is worse, but I am wondering if the Anchors and Sutures that will be left are my pain problem. My Urologist also said it might get better with healing. I am not going to have the TURP done so he may not wantto remove the clips. Now that I have discovered I can take Flomax every other day without RE I will continue to try drugs again. Some of these Urologists just do no know how bad it is for patients being experimented on with all these procedures. I am just glad it works for some people.

• Posted

Looks like some of my previous post got mangled.

The pain I have still is like bruising/soreness and like something is pulling/catching in the pelvic floor region. Sitting a long time can be uncomfortable and so can exercise. The Uro checked there were no clip ends in the bladder but nothing further than that. Don't think he knows why I have the pain.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are having a worse problem than me.

My failed Urolift is not pain but a sensation in the prostate area. My Urologist said it is probably healing but I think it is the prostate feeling the pressure from the squeezing of the Urolift devices. I will bring this up again in August with my next visit when I ask about removing the clips in the Urethra. I would think it might stop the sensation I have from the Urolift procedure that failed to better my flow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.