what if you don't eat enough fat

Posted , 4 users are following.

been on tabs for 8 days don't think i am eating enough fat does that affect how the tabs work? is it ok to have a snack between meals something like ww crisps or are you best to eat them straight after a meal as it says on leaflet not to snack between meals. think i'm having about 1000 cals a day.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Windy, the least fat the better i think but we do need some fat to stay healthy. Im no expert as im new too but its early days ive found baxters healthy choice soup good as a snack i eat the whole tin and it fills me up, im sure theres loads out there try and get a few hours and a mooch round the supermarket to check out labels and watch out for cereal its not as healthy as you think!
  • Posted

Hi Windy

I'm only new to this too but according to the leaflet you are best not to snack on fatty food in between meals so if you really want something with fat in it would it not be best to take it after your lunch or tea when 1/3 of the fat would not be absorbed? Having said that I wanted something 4pm this afternoon so rather than have my usual chocolate I toasted a tesco crumpet (75 cals/0.5g fat) and put a teaspoon low cal marmalade on it. All you can do is your best!

• Posted

Here's a way to look at it that you might find worth reading – just my view so ignore if it sounds wrong to you.

To lose weight you need to eat less and exercise more than you did as you were gaining or even when you are stable. This is true whether you take these pills or not. The blueys only add to the result of your changed behaviour, they don’t replace it.

The blueys only work by blocking absorption of one third of the fat you eat. If you aren't eating much fat with your (say) 1400 calories, then there is not much point taking the pills.

I would also argue that you might want to use this opportunity to create a new long term way of eating, in which case you need to be eating a sustainable long-term amount of fat or you are just on a cranky diet that will come and go like all the others we have tried.

OK - if you agree so far, then a couple of other points may be worth considering.

If you don't eat enough fat (25-30g as explained in the earlier post) your skin will be like a prune after a month or so and when you do lose the weight it will sag and not spring in. There are some earlier posts in the forum where people have had this happen and regret not eating more fat as they went along. Remember70-75g of fat is the normal recommended adult intake so 25-30g is low fat.

As well as adding more impact of diet/exercise by scooting some of your fat intake of fat straight through, the other great benefit of the blueys is their policing effect. You certainly know about it when you over-indulge in fat which makes you more likely to say no the second time.

• Posted

thanks for the advice very helpful. i think because i have been a yo yo dieter for about 10 years where i've lose 2st then put it on done that about 8 times i get into diet mode when i hardly eat anything and want quick results then get fed up after a while and start binge eating again and put all the weight on. think i will try to eat more fat in my diet as you say it training you to change your lifestyle forever. thanks how much weight have you lost and how long has it taken you 8)
  • Posted

5 and a half stone in about 28 weeks. I have failed and failed for decades before that so I know what didn't really work for me long term.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.