What illness is this. Food poisoning or flu?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Never had anything like this.

- Day 1-3 Overwhelming tiredness. Intense flatulence.

- Day 4 All over body pains. Like from head to toe.

- Day 5-7 Body pains less intense. High temperature (39.5C), shaking, headache, racing heart beat (130bpm  my normal is <60). Constipation. No flatulance. Abdominal pain. No sleep. Even more tired

- Day 8 (today) One episode of of intense diarrhoea in the middle of the night lasting 30 minutes. Followed by 4 hours of sweating to the point where I'm drenched then followed by temperature falling (now 37.8C) and starting to feel a lot better. Abdominal pain subsiding.

Had flu earlier in the year and this is very much like it except with added bowel problems but I'm worried it could be food poisoning. Would the symptoms fit with food poisoning?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If your symptoms began shortly after eating something dodgy, food poisioning is a possibilty. However, different food bugs have varying times of onset and duration and symptoms may also differ depending on the bacteria involved.  When, I got poisoned by off rice, I vomited within hours.  Yet again maybe it is just gastric flu.  Have you eaten anything unusual?
    • Posted

It started the day after going out for a meal. My partner also had bad wind and tiredness for a few days starting same time as me but things didn't progress after day 4 the same way as for me. She's still tired. I have had a lot of stress at work though and wonder if whatever it is has just got the better of me.

• Posted

All these things are possible.  Have any of you seen a doctor for diagnosis and treatment.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for replying. No not been to a doctor. Temp back to 36.1C now but still very sweaty. Pulse back  from 130 to 58 which is still a bit above my normal. Guts still niggling a lot though especially at night. On reflection I probably made this whole thing worse without realising. On the night when I had the body pains all over I just though it was stress from work, so went out after work and did an intense interval training session. I did the training ok but the 20 minute warmdown was awful and I was nearly passing out at the end and wobbling all over the place. I came home and didn't eat much although I took on loads of fluids and electrolytes and went to bed.

Problem with the GP is it takes ages to get an appointment and when I go (which is once every two years on average) they still make me feel like I'm wasting their time. By the time I get to see anyone I'll be fit and well again. I'll make an appointment though and get checked as soon as they can see me.

• Posted

I go to a walk in centre and I can wait and see any doctor I like on the spot. If  I want my usual doctor I have to make an appointment which may take longer but it is not too bad.  Last year I went to the doctor eight times over a three month period with bowel symptoms, nausea and stomach pain.  I saw lots of different doctors but none could help except my ususal doctor who diagnosed me with IBS.  When you see your GP, it may be worth asking about IBS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.