What is a general anaesthetic like?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Tomorrow I have a day operation which generally takes about an hour. However what I'm most worried about is the general anaesthetic.

What is it like? Is it possible to dream during one? Can you hear? Can you think? I'm nervous that my thoughts before will be those of complete panic.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello.

General anaesthetic is when you are completely asleep. They will do that by your iv or gas. I had general when I was about 10 nothing to be worried about. Just recently I had a exploratory and reconstruction surgery on my hand. They have me local a nerve block but that didn't work and asked before they started so they gave me some medication thru iv that made me go under. I was nervous but they kept telling me everything will be OK and it was. Woke up and they asked how I was and I told them it went great and they said all was well. You will do great.

• Posted

Did you have general anesthesia? What was it like? I've been told to have a Cystoscope test to look into the bladder but I'm terrified. I think they offer partial sedation have you heard of it

Michelle

Merry Christmas

• Posted

I had general anesthetic.I was asleep in an instant The next this thing  I knew I was awake.I knew were I was and what I was there for.
  • Posted

When I woke up I turned my head and saw the wall clock.I knew the surgery must be finished. If I ever need GA again I hope its like the last time.
  • Posted

I have had many GA procedures.  You don't remember a thing.  You go into theatre and the anaesthetist looking after you will tell you that they are just going to inject your anaesthetic.  As they start to do it they will  be talking to you and your head feels a bit woozy and then before you know it less than a few seconds later you will be fully asleep.  I have never remembered anything that I have dreamed about and have always just remembered the nurses waking me up and checking that I was ok. 

You will be in good hands don't worry smile

• Posted

Hi 

I am having a complex hip replacement in the next month and this might be under general anathestic  and also combined with a epidural.

Does the anathesist stay with you through the whole operation, I am a little scared that I won't wake up, 

• Posted

Yes the Anaesthetist will monitor you all the way through the procedure and never leave your side.  I am sure you will be absolutely fine.  It is very rare things go wrong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.