What is a good ferritin level?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone! First I want to point out I'm in the US in case my numbers look different from others around this forum. I had a blood test done on August 5th which showed by ferritin level was 32. A month later another blood test showed my level had dropped to 16. 2 different doctors and both told me I was "fine" just on the low side of normal. I don't know what to do or where I should be at on this level. Can anyone please help? Also I just started taking floradix. I've heard great things about it. *fingers crossed*

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I presume, because you had a blood test, that you havent been well? What are your symptoms? Ive read that people can still have symptoms even though their results are in the normal range. Seems some doctors dont appreciate this.
  • Posted

Not sure what symptoms you have or how ill you've been feeling. I was really unwell at ferritin 29 and I had been for a while before I got tested and Im guessing it was even higher then. After 6 weeks I dropped to 16 and my drs still classes it as normal!! By this point I felt dreadful. Drs really don't seem to have a very good understanding... Keep on at them as you shouldn't be fobbed off!

• Posted

Doctors do not seem to agree on what ia a low ferritin level. In April it was down to 17.1 and I was put on ferrous fulmarate 3 tablets per day which I presumed meant it was seriously low. Some time later in July I was told by one gastro consultant that I had mild anaemia, another told me I had moderate anaemia, and my own GP told me it had been borderline and took me off the ferrous fumarate. There does not seem to be any agreement unless it goes into single figures when apparently all doctors agree that you have moderate to severe anaemia
  • Posted

If you are not experiencing symptoms then there isn't any problems. There is some research that at least 70 is needed to reverse hairloss etc.

• Posted

That is not actually true. I wasn't having any symptoms but because the blood test showed mild anaemia it still had to be investigated and as a result tomorrow I have to have a liver resection. In other words, the borderline anaemia was the first indication that I might have liver disease. Because there are no symptoms in the early stages the NHS guidelines say that if you have anaemia for the first time over the age of 60 it has to be treated and investigated even if there are no symptoms.

• Posted

The reply was in response to what is a good level of ferritin as opposed to the range given when people feel symptoms although they are in the "range". 

I was as once told that mildly anemic but when I queried it with another doctor was told there is no such medical term. 

If you are below the range you should always ensure that adequate investigations and monitoring occurs. 

• Posted

Sorry, I was just referring to the fact that you said "if you are not experiencing any symptoms, there aren't any problems"

• Posted

I think everyone is different. Some people have no symptoms some people have lots of symptoms and can feel very ill. Sometimes I think it depends on why your iron stores are low. I had very heavy periods and they were dropping fast so I felt dreadful. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.