What is a good TSH level for you?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I know people are different.  For those who are within normal range of TSH, What is a good TSH level for you?  just trying to see where should i stay what level... for me 2.24 im hypo. < 1 is hyper for . 1.5 is a good TSH level for me or 1.67... Just trying what levels of TSH do others are to be a fully functioning person.  normal range in labs are  .4-4.00

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am yet to find this out, but I know I feel rubbish at 3.6 and 4.8 which were my last two readings. I have been feeling a lot better recently since I cut my carbimazole down, but am not due for bloods for another two weeks.
  • Posted

I was happy when mine rose from less than 0.001 to 0.70.  Then it went up to 2.7.  Basically I like mine over 1.0 and under 2.0.  I think that is a great range for me.  My last one was 1.01.
  • Posted

Studies have shown that the concentration of TSH in the serum follows a daily variation (circadian rhythm). In one such study the TSH values of 33 healthy individuals were taken every hour. It was found that TSH shows an average maximum of 2.2mU/l at around 3am and an average minimum of 1.4mU/l at around 3pm. The title of the publication is: "Free Triiodothyronine Has a Distinct Circadian Rhythm That Is Delayed but Parallels Thyrotropin Levels" if you like to read it. 

Another study has demonstrated that physical activity (for example aerobic exercise) tends to increase the serum concentration of TSH ("Exercise intensity and its effects on thyroid hormones"wink

Since TSH shows such a large intra-day variation is makes more sense to find a good range instead of an optimum fixed TSH level.

To compare TSH values it might make sense to schedule the blood test appointments at approximately the same time during the day (since e.g. there is an average difference of 0.4mU/l between the TSH values taken at 9am and 3pm, respectively). 

• Posted

Yeah I think that test or studies are only true for healthy individuals not me. my thyroid is malfunctioning.  I did try going in same time for every blood test, then going in at different times, but it didnt' make a difference to me.  Now I'm testing how different results would be if I go in on the day I take my methimazole vs on the day meds are off.  so what's your favorite TSH level?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.