what is a normal/sufficient vitamin d level?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been taking 10000 iu 3 times a week and my most recent blood test showed a level of 44. Is this enough? My dr thinks so but I think t's rather low. Thanks for any advice from anyone.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lucas,

44 is a good level but most aim for 50 for optimal.

• Posted

Hi

My sister has just had her bloods redone for vit D and her levels are now 44 also, we are waiting for another blood test from the GPs at moment as they requested another test before they will decide what treatment to carry on with, well we think that's why they want the retest - you don't get told much these days from GPs.

From what I have read 50-70 is the best levels to have, you never said whether you are still taking the Vit D dose you stated above?

If you are that's over the normal maintenance dose they give of a 1000iu a day per week so your levels should carry on raising.

I will let you know what our GPs finally decide on my sisters levels of 44, from what I have read on other people's experiences all doctors give different advice!

Ruthie smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.