What is a panic attack like?

Posted , 5 users are following.

i suffer from depression, and today when I was at church, I suddenly felt like I had to get out, I was shaking, difficultly breathing and felt so sick, I got out and had to call someone as I was a complete mess, I was so emotional as I couldn't stop crying. It was so hard, I never needed anyone that much, I needed someone to hug me, and be with me as I was freaking out, do you think this was a panic. Attack?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sounds a lot like a panic attack I used to have them regularly when I was younger and I had one last week but don't know what triggered it yet.its left me feeling over anxious and angry .
  • Posted

IHello ,

Yes it does sound very much like panic attack, and they are very unpleasant bringing with them all sorts of feelings that are so uncomfortable ,and sometimes making you feel so unreal ,but that does go after a while.

Because you say you wanted someone to give you a hug ,I am sending you in here ..lots and lots and llots of lovely big hugs  to help comfort you ...

Take Care

millyimp1322xx

• Posted

Hi there, 

It certainly sounds like you had a form of panic attack - however what I will say is that if you are a religious person, sometimes the solemness and spiritualness (ie environment) of the service can be quite overwhelming. Therefore it may be partly due to your surroundings. 

I too suffer from depression and have on a couple of occassions ended up in tears during our church service (inconsolably so!). It's almost like in that environment I just can't keep my emotions in and hidden. I have also been assured by a number of churchgoers that this is something that a number of people experience while at church. 

• Posted

I go through that a lot. Its a panic attack indeed. I get emotional and start crying and I need my husband to hug me. Its a scary feeling.

I can't say its because of church though I went through that before. But when I pray, I feel better and my anxiety goes away.

I know how you feel and you're not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.