What is a therapeutic dosage for atenenol

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm on 25 mg of atenenol for skipped beats , and fast beats . It was working for about 3 weeks but the skips are back on and off . I was told 25 mg is a low does . Just looking for someone who had this happen  where they had 25 and then it didn't work and they needed to raise it .  Any suggestions . 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes, the suggestion is to get off of medication while you still can, if you don't they will up your dosage and convince you to take two or three more drugs.. and you will wish you never started.  The truth is that these drugs are NOT safe and cause other problems.   Find yourself  a naturopathic doctor or research yourself to change your diet.  Do not blindly follow a doctor who wants to make a patient out of you..

• Posted

kris813..the best person to speak to about this is your doctor. 25mg of Atenolol is a low dose. I take 50mg 1xdaily..

&have no problems. Atenolol is used to help control bp levels as well as slow the heart. If the heart is slowed...the bp comes down, but I wouldn't be surprised that it's used just for heart things as well. 

Forgive my forwardness, but 3 weeks really isn't a long time for a medication to do its job but if you are concerned, you really should consult your doctor.

• Posted

Mike thanks for you reply . I will call Monday , I was just trying to get an idea as he said it was a low dose . I think I was looking for so comfort , reassurance etc. thanks so much for answering 

Kristine 

• Posted

kris813...You are most welcome. While we are not doctors in this forum, we try to help each other as best we can by making suggestions, or sharing adverse affects or even positive affects. What bothers one person, may not bother another, etc. 

If you feel a little nervous about what you're experiencing or have questions about the dosage or the medication itself, the best person to give you the answser(s) is your doctor. I'm happy to know that you will be making that call on Monday.

Please let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Yes , I will . I'm hoping the acupuncture will help

• Posted

Here's a better suggestion.. go to youtube and put in Dr. John Bergman and watch some of his videos. it will open your eyes about how foolish we are to buy into all this hype... no matter what your problem is YOU CAN REVERSE IT..

• Posted

Hi Kris.  Well yes, 25mg is a very small dose - read the info that comes with the drug or online.  However here's the thing, it's not really for skipped beats, it's more for fast beats.  Is your pulse rate staying down?  If so, then it may be best to look for other ways to address the skipped beats.

?

?Are you taking any other prescriptions?

?Oh, and if you want to try something - dark chocolate (can't have any milk in it) is a natural beta blocker, eat about two ounces of 70% or more dark chocolate, and that's like taking more atenolol ... but yes, it is more fattening ... and tasty!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.