What is anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

my girlfriend thinks i have an anxiety or bipolar problem what exactly is it and how do you know if you suffer from it 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

All depends on your symptoms & behavior.. Do you have depression? Digestive problems? Anxiety has soooo many symptoms so look up symptoms of anxiety or bipolar & see if you have a lot of those symptoms
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the reply I have looked into it for the past week now and I am convinced I have a really bad anxiety problem I dont think its bipolar but everyday I am contantly worried that my girlfriend is going to leave me and that I will never make her happy or never be good enough for her she has left me in the past and cheated on me saying I pushed her away wich I probably did but she realiseses she cant be without me I mean she is the love of my life she is the most stunning girl I have ever seen I have been with her two year now and she is talking about starting a family with me and wanting to get married how can I when I cant believe anything she says I dont even believe her when she says she loves me I dont feel like she cares at all about my feelings but she does do so much for me im so confused I feel like she is only with me because she knows how much she means to me and likes how much I love her
  • Posted

Hi there, 

Anxiety is such a difficult thing to pin-point! However reading your follow up comment it may be worth asking yourself why you feel these worries about your girlfriend. I see that you say she has cheated on you in the past. Could this be why you are anxious do you think? Or could it be because you have any other reasons to believe that she may leave you?

If you do not trust her then this will leave you anxious about your relationship. Try asking yourself whether this is part of the problem? If it is then you need to sit down with your girlfriend and discuss how you are feeling. Trust isn't easily mended once it's been broken, so you will need to be able to properly talk things through if this is what the underlying issue is. (It is normal to feel anxious when we have a reason to be concerned).

However if you don't think you have any reason to be worried about your girlfriend's feelings for you, then it may be a good idea to seek some counselling. (Your doctor should be able to help you with this).  I know that people have differing feelings about this, but I found it very helpful. 

I know nothing about you obviously, but it could be that something from your past has caused you to have self-esteem, or confidence issues. A counsellor will help you identify what these factors may be that are causing you anxiety and help you to address, or deal with coping strategies in order to address them. 

One thing to bear in mind if you do decide to go down this route is that counsellors are there to help you to help yourself. They won't tell you what to do, or how you should deal with a situation, but they will help you decide how best to deal with a situation yourself - which also means that you will be able to use the skills you learn to help you again in the future! biggrin

I hope that this comment helps you in some way.

Just remember that everyone makes mistakes, so if you want your relationship to work, it will be difficult but you would be best to draw a line under the past and carry on going forward. For instance, try not to bring up past issues in future arguments as you will never be able to move forward. 

Sorry - I don't mean to you give you relationship advice, but I think it may be relevant to your question about anxiety. 

I hope you can sort things out and feel better soon. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking time to write that for meeans alot and I will defently take what your saying into consideration this actually does help thankyou

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.