What is causing my extremely swollen eyes, itchy red eyelids and forehead?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Long story short, I had a bad allergic reaction to my eyelash extensions after about 3 months of having them (woke up with extremely red puffy eyes). I removed them immediately and was prescribed 5 days of prednisone as a result of contact dermatitis. 

My eyes returned to normal after about 2 days of prednisone, however, after about a week, my eye swelling came back, my forehead was itchy and red, and around my eyes were flaking with skin. I was told by a doctor that the ​lashes gave me a chemical burn and she prescribed me more predisone. I went and saw a dermatologist as a second opinion and they told me stop any prednisone use and take off your acrylic nails as you are probably allergic to acrylate (so I removed my fake nails). 

This was about a week ago now. My eyes seem to get better then get worse (cant pinpoint what is causing this). They have been fine the last few days, however, I woke up this morning with it being the worst it has been (attached photos from today). It seems to get better as the day progresses but my forehead again is extremely itchy (looks like I have a sunburn), my eyelids are swollen still, itchy, and I have perfect red circles around both eyes. What could be causing this?!?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you have a serious allergic reaction to something that has been used. This may be quite difficult to resolve....I know several girls who have had this reaction to eyelash extensions. Try taking some oral antihistamines to calm the rash for 2 weeks. Only use mild unperfumed soap to wash the area and apply a bland,unperfumed Simple face cream and only lightly. If your eyes are sore get some Hypromellose eye drops to use...they will help the eyelids as well. 

Be prepared for a lengthy recovery,but you may be lucky and it may clear up quickly. Keep all make up away from the area.

PS no photos attached.

• Posted

Hi Marina,

Thanks so much for the response! I wasn’t sure of a way to attach photos. It’s just so odd my face is okay for a day or two then flares up so bad the next. It’s been almost a month now since I removed my extensions so I’m just wondering if something else is causing this. sad

• Posted

I said "be prepared" as this condition can lead to Blepharitis. You may have damaged the Meibomian gland ducts in the edge of the eyelid and this can take a long time to heal. These tiny glands provide the essential oiliness for your tears and when they are damaged you can get dry eye symptoms. You can also try smearing Vaseline along your eyelids at night.

• Posted

Thank you Marina! You have been so helpful really. I’ve been doing nonstop research trying to find something to help sad today my eyes look fine. Skin is just dry around them as well as my forehead. It’s hard to know what I will wake up in the morning looking like. But I feel much better knowing you said you have seen other girls with this same thing. I’m getting married in 80 days so praying for the best 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.