What is causing my symptoms?!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been going to the doctors since early November as I have been suffering mainly from lower right abdominal pain, but also changes to bowel functions and just generally feeling unwell, weak and tired all the time. 

I had my appendix removed through 3 keyhole incisions and a long operation nearly 2 years ago now, and I did experience some pain like I am experiencing at the moment a couple of weeks after having it removed, but then it seemed to disappear and I was okay. It it not contiunuous pain in my abdomen, but it comes and goes, and I do have pain every day - mainly small sharp shooting pain which feels deep and causes me to clutch my side, its similar to having a stitch. Sometimes I experience pain going round towards my back, but that is not a deep pain, it is more achy, and I have experienced pain on the left side too but again not as severe. I have had chest pains too which have worried me as I have never experienced this before. I have also had some aching pains in my neck but I am not really concerned about that unless they could be related to anything else. My bowels have not been normal since around October, at first I had diarrohea for a week and then I was concerned as I did not go to the toilet at all for a week and then since then this kind of pattern has continued, and I am constipated for a few days and then I have urgent need to go to the toilet.. There is sometimes mucus, black bits and occasionally blood, and generally my stool is like small droppings or not normal shape.

I had blood tests done in November and they came back showing sign of infection somewhere, as the doctor also highlighted high eosonophil levels but said that she wasn't concerned, as at the time I did have swollen tonsils and she thought it was maybe because of this. She gave me amoxicillin to take for a week but that did not change anything and so I went back, she still did not really know why I was having pain and feeling poorly; next they gave me clarithromycin  to take for a week, however this did not change anything either. I went back again and she decided to refer me to the gastrointestinal department at the hospital (this was at beginning of December), to possibly see the surgeon who did my surgery nearly 2 years ago. Therefore, I was put on a waiting list and even though she has put it as urgent, I had to wait until February. I felt that I could not wait this long as my symptoms have been getting worse, and so she sent me in to the hospital last week after also having a temperature, where they did a stool test, urine test and blood tests. My temperature, blood pressure and heart rate were all high. Blood and urine tests came back okay though, I asked about eosonophil levels as I said these have been high for a while but they said they were not concerned about this. The doctor mentioned that she does not think it would be a problem resulting from the surgery, but she did say it could be something to do with my ovaries or colon. I have not had results from the stool test back yet, but I am going for an ultrasound scan and to see a gynaecologist in a few days.

I am just wondering if anyone has been experiencing similar symptoms, or has had problems after having appendix surgery, and maybe thinking it could be related to this? I am worried that it could be something serious such as cancer as I have been suffering for a while, but I am only 22? If anyone could give me any advice as to what may be causing my pain or if they have been in a similar situation, it would be very helpful!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jess

I had my appendtix out about 5yrs ago.! To cut a long story short, perhap's seek advice via yr G.P, if you are having blood in your stool you need to insist on a colonoscopy even if yr stool comes bk ok.Better to be safe and have peace of mind!

Best wishes.x

• Posted

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your message! Yes I am going for a scan in a few days and will ask about that too! Thank you!

• Posted

Hi jess

I had similar symptoms in lower right abdomen and back pain and tiredness.....I had an usscan recently and it showed an ovarian cyst.....wait an see what yr usscan shows....if anything is there the usscan will pick it up.....best wishes

• Posted

Hi,

My aunty has also had similar symptoms and has found she has an ovarian cyst too! Yes I will hopefully find out soon. Hope you're okay!

• Posted

Hi Jess,

I had my right ovary and appenidix removed at the same time - I was in so much pain and was in hospital for 3 days before they scanned and discovered a massive cyst that had twisted around and killed the ovary. They removed the appendix as it made access to the ovary easier. I'm not sure whether this would cause bowel problems - it probably could - but as you are getting help from hospital and doctors - and you keep going back - then I am sure they will get you sorted. The best you can do is maybe ask you doctor who you a meant to be seeing next - and say your pain/symptoms are getting worse, and is there anything can be done to speed up the process.

I wish you good luck xxx

• Posted

Hi,

Oh no that sounds awful! Yes I am off to the hospital again in a few days so should be getting closer to finding things out! Thank you!

• Posted

Hi Jess.

It may appear that it might be inflammation related; so yo u can start by addressing this. Secondly; you need to be a bit more specific about the Count  of eosonophil level as this would help ; is it 500 or 1,500? etc.

The high temperature and blood pressure etc is a key indicator that your body is fighting something; as well as the count.but bodies are built for fighting infection! That's the good news. smile

Are the symptoms you are experiencing (stabbing pain under right rib cage?).. this is sometimes difficult to know exactly; but try googling liver kidney rib cage; and you can see that this may be inflammation in that area; or within the bowels.. and your diet is key to addressing this. Eating probiotics (introducing good bacteria to the system) can also assist.

I have suffered intermittent stabbing pain under hte right rib cage; which became really bad; and changing diet assisted this. (antiinflammatories, antioxidant foods like beetroot and red grapes etc)... cuttingdown caffeine, and alcohol etc.

Inflammation is the first sign of inbalance; and it may be due to infection.. So; it may help you to eat antiinflammatory foods and anti oxidants - Turmeric spice is natures natural antiinflammatory and i take this with a little water. Improving diet  can only assist.

it is reassuring htat your GP isn't overly concerned with the count; so that is good news! Stabbing pain under hte right rib cage (which i have suffered) can be resolved iwth changing diet;  and trying to assist in helping the body to recover.

I hope you start feeling better soon.. smile

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your message. My eosophonil level last was around 1000 I think. The pain I'm experiencing is much lower than the rib cage, its below my belly button but not in the middle, towards the right, basically right where my appendix apparently was. Yes I have been eating probiotics. Okay thanks, that is helpful information about the antioxidants. Thank you!

• Posted

Hi jess; i went to the foodstore today to try and get some stuff to help my liver in case it was that ; and as well as glutathione the lady recommended glutamine. [After surgery or traumatic injury, nitrogen is necessary to repair the wounds and keep the vital organs functioning. About one third of this nitrogen comes from glutamine]. I got a bunch of other stuff; aloe vera coon cleanse juice, dried apricots(for liver) dried cranberries, milk thistle, and a bag of macadamia nuts!  i had been in quite a bit of pain today; and had taken a few painkillers. after i'd eaten i took another pain killer; however my abdomen has felt normal and hasn't felt this good for a long time (i don't work for the shop or the products!!! lolololo).. it may be a fluke but thought i would let you know soonest.. i will try and keep you updated. i am unsure which of hte bunch has assisted... time will perhaps tell; here's hoping! smile

• Posted

Hi all,

So I went for an ultrasound scan at the hospital on Thursday, but I am still awaiting the results. However, she did say that she could not see anything major such as cysts that seem to be causing my pain and problems, and that my ovaries are all okay. She did however spend quite a bit of time on the right side higher up just below my bra line, which worried me as on the screen I could see black things, and she kept zooming in and out etc. Also she mentioned that where my pain is on the lower right of my abdomen, she did say that sometimes things don't show up on US scan and that maybe something could be causing inflammation that she can't see.. She did say overall that everything was fine and that I will be seeing the consultant soon.. In the meantime, I am still experiencing symptoms such as constipation, diarrhoea, nausea and chest pain. Hopefully I will get results of stool test and the scan this week and can get to see the consultant and hope he has a better idea of what is going on!

• Posted

HI jess

Have you considered your liver? The way the liver works also affects the gallblader (and bile ) secretions; so if the liver is 'overworked' then the gallbladder is affected; this would also cause pains across the rib cage (chest) where the liver is ; and pains in teh right abdomen just under the rib cage.  it has to do with the way fats and suchlike are processed by the liver.

IF (and it is a big if - only you would know by checking if there is pain over your chest where your liver sits) then you shoudl take a glutamine tablet, a vitimain 'liverhealth' tablet and some Milk Thistle.. you are aiming to assist and clear the liver; and repair the liver cells; the liver is one of the organs that CAN repair itself to some degree.

YOu should also take a clove of garlic; cut up; and if possible some tomatoes (tomatoe soup) and apple juice along with olive oil (omega 3 fats and the good fats only).

Sorry if this is not relevant; and it covers some basics..

Hope you feel better soon: )

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for the advice!

Have had some changes over the last week; I have now not had any bowel movements for nearly 9 days, tried laxatives, orange juice, figs, etc, nothing seems to work. I have also had trouble sleeping as I have had bad chest pains and have been vomiting a few times.. and now getting quite concerned. Been to the doctors today and have to go back on Monday. I am also still waiting for results from my tests at the hospital and to see the consultant, but my main concern at the moment is definitely the lack of bowel movements and chest pain! Any advice is appreciated!

• Posted

diabetic chocolate is good for those types of emergencies; however if it is a bowel blockage you should re-check in with your GP..and diabetic chocolate (1/2 to 1  bar) is not going to be polite in that department..  however if you do have a blockage as opposed to 'constipation'(which you can get from taking meds) then it may not be a wise thing to take.. only you would know (and if you were to take it  you would have to stay in on that day...)..
    • Posted

Hi

Still no bowel movements! Taken so many laxatives, prunes, nuts, chocolate, drinking orange juice non stop, hot baths and nothing. My doctor did a small enema today but she said there isn't anything in my lower area so she thinks it's all higher up. Still having some chest pain and have been sick, I've got another appointment to see her tomorrow and maybe then go to the hospital.. I am surprisingly relaxed at the moment as I just feel full with some pain and sometimes bad pain. If anyone knows what could be causing this or any advice at all, that would be appreciated!

• Posted

Hi,

So I've been to see consultant and sending me for another scan- mri! Today ive woken up with severe pain that feels like a stitch after ive been running, but is definitely not a stitch! It is just below my trouser line so is very low down and only sitting still seems to stop it, I've taken painkillers etc and it's still there. The doctor has also given me more laxatives etc and mebeverine to help my bowel move. I am just concerned about the pain I am having today, as normally I have a shooting pain that goes but this pain is constant like a stitch..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.