What is causing the thumping in my ear and how to make it go away?

Posted , 5 users are following.

A rapid thumping started in my left ear three weeks ago and was on and off for the first three days. By the third day, it was constant and although I felt no pain it was almost inpossible to ignore making sleeping so incredibly difficult. I Visited a clinic after a week and was told it had something to do with my sinuses and was prescribed a steroid nasal spray to use for a week. After a few days the thumping went away. I continued to use the spray for a whole week but lowered the dosage. The thumping went away for a full week but then came back on Tuesday! Went to the Gp and was given a different milder nasal spray and was told a referral could take weeks.  

I discovered that if I steam my face for about 15 mins the thumping goes away for an hour or two but this doesn't always work. What can I do to make it go away, I can't stand it anymore.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

The drs say it's stress induce.try to relax when u hyperventilate this also happens so try use u paperback breath using your abdominal muscles.hope it helps u
  • Posted

I had same problem after getting hit in the ear by a wave this summer.  I was convinced I had water in the ear and had a sense of fullness too.  Went to ENT and there was no fluid no infection to my dismay.  I was actually hoping for it.  Every time I yawn, burp or hiccup I get that thump.  And it is driving me to insanity.  I did do the whole sinus flush and breathing in steam also relieved it like you said for a couple of hours but Im not sure if it is the fact that the steam relaxes me or if its clearing out my sinuses that they are telling is not the problem.  Now they are saying it is from TMJ and I grind my teeth at night.   I do find myself tensing up in the jaw area so maybe its true.  I tried heat but it seems as ice works.  But then it will go away for a fews days and come back.  I also have a bad neck and wake up with neck stiffnes and notice the thumping is worse.  Do you grind your teeth or have any neck problems?

I hate to say this but im beginning to think its stress related in my case too plus the TMJ.

• Posted

Thanks for replying, for a a few days now the thumping has been on and off, I've been trying to see if it's related to anything I'm doing at the time but I can't seem to find any patterns or relations to anything. I don't grind my teeth and am never usually tense around the jaw area nor do I have any neck problems.
  • Posted

Another thing I did use was Benadryl and that did help.  It could be allergy realted.
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl, 

I've been having the thumping sound in my right ear for almost 4 years now. It really drives me up the wall when I need peace & quiet. The only time it is quiet is when I fall asleep.

The ENT said I've got fluid pressed against my eardrum from the inside of the ear although he couldn't answer me how the fluid got there. Another ENT did an MRI and found a larger blood vessel pulsatuing close to my right ear; hence the pulse that I hear. Again this ENT failed to supply me an answer to how the blood vessel could get larger the past 4 years as I hadn't heard of my own pulse when I was a kid. I started alternative therapy only just today and I could feel the pressure on my eardrum relieved and the thumping got softer. I hope this will work in time and I hope to share this method with you.

• Posted

Thanks for replying, I still have to wait a few weeks to see if I can be referred to the ENT, hopefully when if I see them they can find whats causing the thumping for me. Good luck with the alternative therapy and let me know how it goes.
  • Posted

So what actually helped u
    • Posted

Apart from the steaming, which I haven't done for a few days now, nothing seems to be working. I'm still using the Avamys nasal spray that I have been prescribed and the thumping has become less frequent, on for a few hours and then off for a few hours.
  • Posted

Cherryp, the alternative therapy is beginning to show slight improvements. I hope to share the remedy with you in a few weeks' time when I get more improvements.
  • Posted

Hi Cherryp, I am replying to your story because I have experienced the consistent thumping in my left ear. It appears that you are experiencing some form of pulsatile tinnitus that has to do with blood flow to the ear. Your next step should probably be to schedule a appointment with a ear,nose, and throat doctor for a correct diagnosis. The good news is that it is treatable with a large percentage of success.Google the topic
  • Posted

I feel that in my ear also .they say it's treatable.see and ent Dr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.