What is causing these changes in my bowel movements?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello all,

At the beginning of this month, I had my recurring pilonidal cyst lanced for the second time and was on a course of antibiotics. Before the lancing I was on doxycycline (100 mg), and after I did a complete course of clindamycin in a stronger dose (300 mg). The abscess itself and the lancing gave me a fever and made me pretty sick. During and after the antibiotics my bowel movements changed drastically. I have been having trouble with bright red blood in my stool and when I wipe since May due to hemorrhoids. Now my hemorrhoids are terrible, and my bowel movements are mostly watery with blood and mucus. Any sort of straining back there can cause blood to come out. I went to pass gas the other day and instead ended up with a thick blood and mucus mixture. The stool itself is minimal and hardly solid. I often go several times in the morning, and often almost directly after eating. The urgency of a movement can not be ignored or else the result might be tragic. I am incredibly gassy as well, I can often hear it churning through my tummy. It seems like something has shifted somewhere in my digestive tract or things are moving through me too quickly. I don’t really have any other symptoms besides the occasional stomachache before and after going. Prior to all of this, I had normal bowel movements once or twice a day. My broke college student diet isn’t the greatest, but nothing has really changed there. I have been taking probiotics and Metamucil to up my fiber intake. I even did an enema to try and flush things out but I couldn’t even hold it in for more than five minutes. I’m at a loss as to what to do. Taking care of the hemorrhoids has been difficult with this happening because it is very raw back there. Preparation H can only do so much when you’re going five times a day.

I apologize for the length of this post, but I wanted to include as much detail as possible. If anyone could offer any tips on how I can reset my digestive system and bowel movements, that would be great. I have a standing appointment with my PCP and will see him around mid October, should I go sooner? Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.