What is considered a high CO2 reading for COPD patients?

Posted , 6 users are following.

My mommas co2 reading yesterday was 53 and 2 weeks before that it was 32. The doctor said that it is normal for COPD patients to have a higher co2, but what would be considered dangerous levels for a COPD patient?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Tonya -- Understanding your mother's CO2 toxicity factor is best researched by googling something like "CO2 toxicity in COPD patients". The resulting articles should give you a better idea on the markers you seek.
  • Posted

Tonya -- I further note that Wikipedia provides fair comment for the layperson along the lines of "effect of oxygen on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease". It doesn't give stats but you might find them in scholarly articles.
  • Posted

Hi don't get hung up on stats please.   Is your mum well?   Is her breathing ok?   if her doctor thought it was dangerous he would be treating her for it.   It's obviously not so please stop worrying about it.  x
    • Posted

She is not doing well at all right now. We have taken her to the ER twice now in 2 weeks. The first time bc her breathing was worse than normal, but all test came back ok. She continues to be weak and having trouble breathing and dizzy. Her left leg is starting to swell pretty bad now, and its very red and it bothers her. That was the reason for the ER visit yesterday, to see what was going on with her leg. They thought it was a blood clot but it checked out ok. She has fell twice in the past 2 weeks. I was worried about her co2 bc my dad died from this same disease a little over a year ago and near the end for him his co2 became really high and he actually went into a coma a couple of times from it. When his co2 was high he was dizzy and couldnt remember things and became very confused. I cant help but worry about it bc she seems to be getting worse but no answers from the doctors as to why.
    • Posted

That does sound very worrying for you, especially having lost your father so recently to COPD.   

Does she have oxygen?  I've read on this forum and heard elsewhere that such things as dizziness and forgetfulness can be related to low oxygen levels to the brain.     If she has access to a pulmonty nurse, rehab group or  physio?  They're usually much better at answering questions than many doctors, in my experience anyway.

• Posted

Yes, she is on oxygen, 2 liters right now. She has only in the past month had to use her oxygen continuously. In the past two years since she has had the oxygen, she had to only use it when needed.
  • Posted

Hi tonya, afraid I can't add much to the discussion except to let you know that from time to time I also suffer swollen lower legs/ankles. The issue is NOT heart related but, I was told, due to COPD and weight.

The solution was flight stockings which I use whenever there is a sign of them swelling. It works for me - hope it might help for your Mum.

Best wishes

• Posted

Although you've been told swollen ankles from fluid retention isn't related to cardiac problems in your case, it CAN be for other people., in which case to wear flight stockings rather than seeking a medical opinion could be very dangerous

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.