What is going on with me? Not processing things normally, impaired cognition, memory problems,

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, 

About four-five months ago I started getting really bad "brain fog" along with some physical symptoms. It took me a while to be able to pinpoint what some of the brain fog entails: inability to concentrate, can't retain new information, can't do anything cognitively difficult, slower reaction time, memory issues, am not processing things normally. (if you're wondering how I am able to write all this now, I have dozens of my medical bills and tests out to help me). 

Examples of how bad my mental cognition is: hard to make toast, hard for me to figure out my way through public transport and airports (I am a very frequent traveller but find myself almost unable to get through it, alot that was familiar now seems so unfamiliar and foreign--I think this is the scariest part, forgot the meaning of a lot of words)

All that then caused insomnia and anxiety, then social anxiety and depression and apathy. This is because I am unable to hold conversations, make conversations, understand what is being said, ect. So I have completely pulled myself out of social situations (which is VERY odd since I am (was) such an extrovert). 

Here are the other symptoms that I have had on and off for the past four months (not in any order, and I am not sure which are related): 

-lightheadedness

-sensitive to some lights and sounds

-menstruation is completely out of whack

-random night sweats

-very dry skin/itchy skin

-rashes/break outs (worst skin i've ever had, and i'm only 24!!)

-bad sleep

-tingling/random pins and needles

-random ringing in ears

-very sensitive to cold

-very sensitive to alcohol (I stopped drinking completely now)

Something that I just realised two weeks ago, although I am not sure how long it has been there for, is muffled hearing. When I swallow, my ears don't clear. However, they clear when I close my nose and push out, but then get muffled right away. I also have had swollen lymph nodes in my neck for a long time. These two things could be related or might not be. 

I have seen two endocrinologists and two holistic doctors and am not exactly sure what to do next. Here are my tests that I have done:

-thyroid panel -- all okay (I am hypothyroid and have been taking armour for the past 4 years)

-Prolactin - a bit high but okay

-LH - normal

-Estradiol - normal

-Cortisol -- was very high, given hydrocortisone for 4 weeks, now it is all okay

-DHEA -- normal

-Testeosterone -- normal

-CBC : all okay, with a few just out of the normal range:

Hematocrit, MCV and MPV all a bit above

MCHC a bit low

-B12 -- normal (but given supplements and shot anyways)

-progesterone -- a bit low (taking this for past 3 months now, but only difference is I get my period on a regular basis now)

-vitamin D - was low, doc gave me a three months gel

-Pregnenolone - very low, started taking 30 mg but then got heart palpitations and stopped

-folate -- normal

-serotonin -- normal

-homocysteine -- normal

Apart from all of these tests, I have crossed out: gluten free, candida, lack of fish oil, low magnesium calcium and zinc,

I am not sure where to go from here.. I am out of a job right now because of this. I hope someone on here can help steer me in the right direction because I am so very lost. I am also too young and healthy for this to be happening to me!! 

One last thing that I thought I should mention is that I had a bad vaginal infection just before this started happening, which I took strong antibiotics for. Not sure if this is related, but worth mentioning. 

Thanks for all your help. Peace and love.  

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

chasingthewind3 here is my situation.  Somthings sould the same.

I joined this forum in hopes I could connect with others for hope.  Short story, at age 20 started getting periods where my brain could not focus scattered, out of it.  Loss of sensations to external world.  Made Engineering school very hard sometimes.  1985 age 23 out of school working now things got worse fast.

Full brain shut down.   Desperate I saw physiatrists.  Many drug experiments hospitals pushed my decline to super depths.   Drugs made it impossible to function.  Thoughts of ending it were big.

24 Years old stopped all the drug experiments crawled back to work.  1-2 Years later improved 25%, enough to function.  Still confusion with all sensations.  Brain was bombarded with this disease all the time.   Felt like some rare metabolite, vascular and autoimmune condition rolled up into one disease.      All senses shaky scattered, focusing a huge effort.   Numb brain function, little sensation entered my brain.    Some fluctuations but the condition always there.  

Still for 23 years I worked as a mechanical engineer.  Started a computer animation

company traveled hiked got married had two girls.   Fed up I just wanted to see the world as my family did.    Then told my problem to Neurologists and many other doctors.   All of them brushed me aside, or were stumped or pushes drugs on me.   All drugs magnified my problems exponentially!

2008 Things got real bad a repeat of 1985 but many times worse.   Many hospitals and drugs I really started thinking about ending it.  I was screaming on a daily basis.  A Nightmare!

Knowing I had a one of a kind condition I pushed Neurologists and other doctors to try and start some

tests.   Then some positive test results; Oligoclonal bands, Brain scans showing perfusion of the brain, cerebral angiogram indication of vasculitis, findings of small infarcts in the frontal lobe, indications of lupus and blood clotting.    However treatments we not helping.  

Went to MAYO Clinic twice.  Saw Dr. Orhun Kantarci Neurologist. 

Conclusion:  Horrible Sleep apnea!   Got a CPAP.  Zero help!  Frustrated I had major throat, tongue, uvula and nasal surgery.   Result: zero sleep apnea!   1 Year later feel I have only a short time to live.  Or I just want it to end.   It is something but what?

• Posted

Hello James,

I am so sorry to hear about your experiences. Do you not feel better after the operation?

Have you looked maybe into thyroid hormone levels or bipolar disorder?

Take care!

• Posted

Thanks but living with it you know something is organic.  I am just in  great need to squash it.    Thanks
    • Posted

Hi James, message me I have a few thoughts, ideas & questions x
    • Posted

This is James Twinky you have a few thoughts, ideas & questions x

I am trying to get my brain somewhat aware this morning...

Thanks

• Posted

James, have you had all of the regular blood tests checked lately? Thyroid, b12, thyroid antibodies, iron, vit D etc? Also 24hr cortisol saliva test?

I have had 2y of complete fog & all bloods came back fine according to the nhs. However I've learned the hard way that what is 'Normal' to the nhs is often far from optimal. Also of you have several off optimal levels they can interplay & make you pretty unwell despite individually looking 'ok'.

Finally, I have also had the experience of seeing a private functional doctor who has been amazing. Have you gone outside the nhs? He has had me do some different tests to see if I'm making use of things such as thyroid hormone & on 24hr urine test it was glaringly clear that I'm not, despite all looking fine in the blood.

Don't give up, this fight isn't over x

• Posted

Twinky thanks for your concern last week they took 25 tubes of blood from

me some DNA tests and a ton of others I see the Nureo doctor tommorow

feel so tiered but I don't dare drink coffee makes my head spin.   I wish I could go somewhere.   Thanks I keep pushing........

• Posted

That's great. Don't forget to ask for a copy of the results so you can see what they have tested & what they might have missed out, also more importantly, post the levels on here & people will be able to interpret them for you
    • Posted

Post the levels ok I will.    I hope this site can help everyone...Lord knows

what I have.

Thanks

• Posted

Trust in the universe that everythin will be okay. Just dont stop searching, post everywhwre, and question your doctors. They were put on this earth to save!

Post your levels please!

Take care

• Posted

Thanks with my memory I need reminders.   I hope I remember to get the results.    Faith in doctors can be hard...
    • Posted

Yep, it can be hard to trust when you find they've been unable to help or have told you things are normal when they aren't. However there will be someone out there who can help. If you get nowhere with these tests there is more that can be done. You might just need to see a private metabolic or functional doctor. I can recommend one if you get to that point.

My conversion issues didn't show up on blood, but were glaring on urine and saliva 24hr tests that check what actually getting into the cells & not just swimming around the veins. My thyroid bloods look normal, but I actually producing very little T3 & what I do make isn't making it into my cells as it should.....only proved by a 24hr urine test.

I'd also be amazed with the length of your conditional if you don't have adrenal fatigue. So it might be worth working in healing them too. 24hr saliva test checks this (cortisol levels). Again there are normals. & optimals within this range.

Lots to try yet if these come back with nothing x

• Posted

Yes thanks I don't know any doctor I can go to that could put there finger on this.  I live in California.    Quite tiered of seeinig doctors.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.