What is going on with my back pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have lower spine and lumbar pain that is awful, it aches and stings like a burning pain, it spreads to my buttocks and hips and occasionally groin and now feeling it in top of spine too, on tramodol and diclofenic and gabatentin to take edge off, it's driving me mad, is anyone else getting anything like this

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Good question about the MRI. What do you know about you spine? What tests have been done? How old are you? Male, female? Please give us as much info as you can so we can help you.
    • Posted

Had mri last week and waiting for results but it's of the lower area, lumber and the bone leading to buttocks, I'm male and 54

• Posted

OK update time, turns out to be arthritis and bulging disc touching nerve, it seems to be hurting alot on left side near hip and back muscle, is this the nerve I wonder , also now getting upper back pain that feels like a painful knot that goes into shoulders and also my ribs feel tender and inflamed, any suggestions
  • Posted

I believe the MRI and I believe it's possible that you're getting your pain from what the MRI says. I too have arthritis and a bulging disc. But given your age and your symptoms it is also possibility that you might have a disease called polymyalgia rheumatica. Also known as PMR. Typically the pain is around the lower back, the hip girdle, the shoulders and the upper arms. You don't have to have all of these symptoms and you can have different ones too. In my case it was predominantly my legs that hurt, I didn't have any shoulder pain but I had forearm pain from my elbows to my fingertips. And the test for it is very simple your doctor just needs to run a blood test where they will test for inflammation markers such as the sed rate and C-reactive protein. If these are elevated then they will consider it to be PMR. And the treatment for that is prednisone. Not all people with PMR have these inflammation markers elevated. So if they aren't elevated but the patient is exhibiting the symptoms then the doctor will put the patient on some prednisone for a short-term basis and if you get relief from it then you have PMR. The typical dose of prednisone that you're put on is anywhere from 15 to 20 mg. And the Improvement in pain on most people is almost instant. And by that I mean within a day or two. Some people don't get relief for a week but as I say most people get it a lot quicker.

• Posted

Thank. You for your reply. And I do have all them symptoms, except I have neck pain too, I will definitely look into it with my doctor as it could account for all this, once again thank. You

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.