What is going on with my muscles?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello!

(I am no native English speaker and I'm apologizing for my mistakes)

So let me first tell you my story. I (21 M) had anorexia when I was 15 years old which had hit me pretty hard (I got dangerously underweight, hospitalized, my growth stopped) but it only lasted 3 months and I fully recovered from it. Then I started exercising in the gym, i had put on some weight and eventually started cycling, which I enjoyed a lot and I was sure I had found a hobby for life.

Then, by the time I was 16 something happened to me. I was cycling to much and I didn't let my muscles to fully recover and one day my body just said "enough". My leg muscles (all muscles on my body really) hurt and i felt tired all the time and I couldn't make it stop. If I went on a run or go cycling, my performance was really bad and it felt that way too. It affected my mood as well and for some time I was depressed and was having hard time falling asleep. When I woke up in the morning, I still felt very tired. I thought it would go away if I give it a rest, but when the tiredness and muscle soreness was still here I went a doctor. He didn't found any abnormalities in the blood and I decided to stop with all activities (except some light walks) for half a year. After that, my legs still felt heavy, tired, as I would just complete a hard training. Eventually I started running/cycling/gym again and every activity I previously enjoyed just seemed like a complete torture.

So, its been 5 years and lately i felt somehow better and decided to start running again. I didn't do to much runs but every week, instead of improving my muscles were more and more sore and heavy until I decided that it is pointless for me to continue.

So, what is going on with my body? Will I ever be able to enjoy exercising again?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

So your about 21/22 if I'm guessing correctly, how tall are you and how much do you weigh now, female /male you don't say, what did your doctor put it down too other than your possibly overdoing it when your body was recovering from some really poor treatment, anorexia actually causes your body to destroy muscles and it can take many years for it to heal them and only if your diet is excellent and you possibly take supplements to boost the food intake of vitamins, minerals and nutrients you need to make a healthy body.

Are you still having problems with your diet and weight which could definitely be causing the problems you are having

• Posted

I am 21, male, 182cm/75kg. I didn't have any weight problems since 3 month anorexia episode, so my weight has been ok for 6 years now and my diet seems to be fine.

• Posted

I would say that for 6 foot and about 11stone is quite light especially if you are heavily exercising

• Posted

I don't think you should be looking at MD as you have had blood tests and it would have thrown up with at least one raised link.

It's also a disease that shows up in early teens at the latest, your 21+ which is very late to be diagnosed but you can ask your GP if your now worried it could be that, it could just be that your previous problems have created muscle atrophy

• Posted

I think it is possible that this is McArdle disease. Although it is a genetic condition it sometimes does not make itself very known until puberty. Your layoff from exercise for six months may well have been the worst thing to do, as you would lose so much aerobic fitness. You might like to try finding the website for IamGSD dot org, You will see the section for McArdle disease (GSD5), scroll down and on the right you will see a link to a page called "Could my problems be due to McArdle's?". Let me know what you think.

• Posted

Thank you for your answers, although I doubt it that it is McArdle's, as my urine is normal and the struggle does not lower after 10 minutes, it gets worse.

• Posted

whatever it is, taking a multivitamin will help you a lot if you are not already taking one. also trying taking a vitamin d supplement daily, it will take around 3 months to work but you will feel much better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.