What is going on with that . . . ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I can be at work at my day job, working along on something tedious that also requires a great deal of focus, when -- occasionally -- i am overwhelmed with the urge to close my eyes. 

When I do this I am not exactly asleep, but I do have flashes of weird, random, dream-like thoughts that have absolutely nothing to do with the task I am performing.  This lasts for a matter of a few seconds, until I realize what is going on. 

On some days, it happens frequently, throughout the workday.

I have experienced this phenomenon for a number of years, and it is really aggravating.  I have find plenty of "stuff" on the Internet about unrelated issues, but nothing that directly speaks to this.  

Can someone help me put a finger on what is going on, or at least point me toward an accurate resource to explore further? 

Is it merely a lack of sleep, or something else?  

Thanks. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I wish I knew William - I've had it all my life, even when I was in primary school! I suspect it may have something to do with the quality of our sleep, possibly sleep apnoea.

Have you tried asking your doctor if you can be referred to a sleep clinic? You might stand some chance of this as a male. Unfortunately, females don't "officially" suffer from sleep apnoea, so can't be referred for a sleep study in most countries.

All I can say is that it's limited my life a bit but has never affected my general health. I'm 73 now and apart from an annoying autoimmune condition, I'm in very good health.

• Posted

I experience something similar: a sudden weariness while working on emails or other screen matters or reading a newspaper.  Fortunately I am retired. I tried resisting it but now I just go and lie on my bed and immediately fall asleep for 30 or so minutes.  I wake and am fully refreshed until the next bout of weariness.  My GP and my neurologist both say it is because I am getting older (in my mid 70s), and to try to go to bed earlier (c 21.00) and sleep longer in the morning.  I am trying to do that but not much effect so far.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.