What is happening?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I started taking Cipramil 20mg about 3 months ago (for the 2nd time in my 24 years). I was doing so well. Feeling happy and inspired. I even started eating right and doing some exercise almost everyday.

About 2 weeks ago I got sick with the flu (was still feeling ok) and about 1 week ago I got a bacterial virus which came with anxiety and almost panic attacks. I am now just about better in terms of the flu and virus but can't seem to shake that the depression is back. It's only been about 3 days that I'm feeling this way but it scares me so much. I hate this feeling.

Any encouragement would be so appreciated. Is this just a result of being sick... I really don't want to up my dose (I hate having to depend on meds) but I will if it means not having to feel this way.

Kind Regards

Nadia sad

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey Nadia,

I just went through this!!!! Like exactly!!!! Depression terrifies me too, I understand. I did up my dose and than I decreased it after a month. Too many side effects. My advice is get right back on to healthy eating, excercise daily and drink upto 6L of water a day. That is what I currently doing and it's working! When I came off my higher dose. Which was one week ago. I replaced it all with those things and the depression and anxiety went away. Don't let these minor health issues set you back give the natural way a try first. See I too; get very umcomfortable with minor health issues. Weve all been through so much with mental illness and its tortures, that when are physical body has a set back it is really difficult to stay calm. I truly understand! If depression lasts longer than 3 months it's clinical. 3 days you've got a chance to take this opportunity to sooth yourself naturally and not depend on medications just yet. I hope you can find comfort in this post. I truly just went through this and upping my med for me was a mistake. You can do this!!! We don't need to depend so strongly on these meds. Try some natural. Yet if it doesn't budge of course go to doctor asap before it gets dangerous.

• Posted

Hey Nadita

Recovery often comes in waves, so it's quite normal to find yourself up and down.  Little things can knock you down, so I expect as you've been unwell it's taken its toll on you.  Carry on eating well and start exercising again when you feel you can, and I'm certain this is a blip and will pass.

You might get more blips along the way, but again each one will ease off and they get easier as time goes by until they stop.

This is my second time on these meds too, and it took longer is time, with the flat depression lasting longer.  It wore off eventually and I've been ever since again.

I don't think you need to up your dose, as that doesn't necessarily stop the blips.  It's just relaxing, keeping healthy, understanding that it's temporary and trust in the meds ..... it'll be fine.

Depression is scary isn't it - you think it'll never go ... but it will.  You can never see a way out once you're back in that dark place.

K x

• Posted

If the feelings persist then do not hesitate to return or increase your meds. I have personal experience of this and I am also a mental health nurse. Hang in!!!!!
  • Posted

Wow Nadita

I can so relate to you. My anxiety/depression seems to worsen when I get physically ill.

I have had so much time off work (from September to March) because of being physically ill (it was awful, scary even) and then the anxiety and depression taking over where the physical illness finished.

I started Citalopram 20mg in January and by March, I was ready to go back to work and like yourself, I was doing so well. I was feeling happy and eating right but then my Dad had a stroke and I asked to up my dose but then a few weeks after that I got ill with vomiting and diarrhoea and then when that finished I got a viral infection and the anxiety/depression worsened.

I think that illness worsens depression and depression worsens illness. It's like a spiral.

I have just had my first CBT session so I'm hoping it will help me to use coping strategies to cope with the anxiety/depression.

I hope that you can get some help/support to cope yourself.

Look after yourself :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.