what is healthy iron levels for healthy hair growth?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Patches back of my hair. Is this low iron (mine 26 ferratin; 11.8 haemogloban) ? I am also perimenopausal.What is healthy iron levels for healthy hair/growth? Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I have also had this from time to time. My ferritin came back as 24 which is in the 'normal' range, however this range goes from about 10 to 200ish so it's quite wide. I spoke to the Dr about it and said that as it was toward the lower end of normal would it be ok for me to rake some iron and he said that would be fine. He said for ladies who experience hair loss ferritin of around 50 is good. To be honest I had already read sd up online and although minimum normal level is 10 a lot of places were saying that optimum level is 50-70. So, I take just 200mg tablet each morning and will continue to do so until I stop my periods, which are quite erratic and very heavy. I may get another blood test in a little while to see how it's going.hope this helps Xx
    • Posted

Hi. Thanks. Helps a lot. Will keep taking through to the menopause. Do you find you have to be careful when you take iron tablet for the best asborption of iron? I cannot take on an empty stomach. I take iron with a vitamin C tablet and make sure I stay away from caffeine and calcium when taking x

• Posted

I also take vit c with it ( the Dr told me to) - I have heard that it's best to take on an empty stomach so I do that and don't seem to have any problems. My friend takes floradix as she has an upset stomach with the tablets and finds that much better.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.