What is housebound?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I know this sounds like a really stupid question but what makes a person housebound?

If i didnt have kids to get up for i honestly think I wouldnt get up til about midday......

1 like, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Like many of these things, it's a bit arbitrary. Other than in a few specific circumstances, it doesn't matter too much.
  • Posted

Please Qwase, no question is stupid on this forum. Please do not feel shy. We all know it takes courage to post our worries and concerns.

I have not had this problem. I am a morning person and at one period my day was virtuallly over a half hour after getting up. That was by about 6:45 am.

My observation is that by rising late you reduced the number of daylight hours you experience. Could this aggrevate the depressing and enervating aspects of CFS/ME?

I exprapelate from seeing two family members with SAD syndrom each winter.

• Posted

Oh dear exprapolate.! What a rediculous new word. Extrapolate.
    • Posted

Lol, I was thinking what does exprapelate mean? Thought you were being really clever. lol
    • Posted

biggrin Your turn to be really clever. Say it with a full mouth. cheesygrin
    • Posted

lol Think I might pass on that; I have trouble saying it with an empty mouth!
    • Posted

What a rude, condescending reply to make !! It means to come to an educated guess from the facts available. And by the way clever dick it is RIDICULOUS !!!!!!!!
    • Posted

er Rita... see the smiley faces... and my spelling is bad, i just reread my posts a load of times and even then get it wrong sometimes...  mind you i think the ME doesnt help nor does the dodgy ticker but heyho...  never mind ... 
    • Posted

Rita, I am so very sorry. I am devastated that I have upset you and if you that I may have upset the person to whom I addressed the offending note. I have looked back over the thread and I am not sure which note has caught you on the raw. I can only say how very sorry I am that something I have written is so upset you. I know only too well that everyone on the forum is suffering grievously. I try to take that into account when writing my texts. I am so very sorry I failed on this occasion. I do hope that I may be forgiven.
  • Posted

For me housebound would be the inability to motivate yourself enough due to pain or the body suffering in some form to be able ot a) get out of bed and b) get out of the door. Foe me it is seeing wife off to work and feeding the animals, also my previous life history of making myself train to compete... without that set of life supports i too wouldnt get out bed i suspect. some mornings though it is a very tough mental challenge to get myself going. very tough!!!!!!!!  
    • Posted

I believe that to be housebound you have to be physically or mentally so ill that you are UNABLE to leave your house , i don't think that you are housebound if you just cannot be bothered.
  • Posted

thanks for your answers guys, the SAD sunlight thing is a v good point, makes complete sense. i guess i should learn to love school run ;-) its crazy to think i need a lie down for ten mins after having got reakfast ready for two children!

thanks again.

• Posted

Hi. I honestly agree with you does not matter how you feel, you have to deal with children. Some would read this and say its just laziness. Wish they could understand. Whe you are bad you are housebound. Physically and mentally unable to leave the home.
    • Posted

Yes Donna. There must be tousands upon thousands who agree with you. I do not believe in psycosomatic illness. It is just a long name that I cannot spell to cover illnesses that are not understood. How many more thousands are being made to feel guilty in addition to being ill because their ailment is not understood.
    • Posted

Frauds say they are ill and then enjoy their good health. Sometimes they are caught out. That is the difference. The ill are as they say they are 24/7.
    • Posted

When my son still lived with me I used to try really hard to cook his meals and be his mum but I couldn't do it every night, and it made me feel horribly guilty when he was eating ready meals and pizzas etc.

I pushed myself too hard, and though I hate to say it, and I grieved when he left, things are a bit easier now and my health has improved somewhat, so I understand you. And yours are younger.

In hindsight I should have asked him for more help! He did help when I asked, even though he always grumbled about it. cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi it is always a relief to hear others have similar experiences. I often feel guilty for not being a normal mum. But would not change having children. My family help cook up food in bulk to freeze for later. So home cooked meals just re heat them.
    • Posted

Yes Donna, children are often remarkably good at coping when a parent is ill.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.