What is it?

Posted , 2 users are following.

In October I had an ear infection..and one bout of being sick and the dirarea..but not waterery, which may have been due to an undercooked sausage I had.  I was given a course of Antibiotics "Chloromycetin", which dealt with the ear problem sypmtoms of light head, feverish and unwell feeling...could not concentrate with very bad tinnitus.

I finished the weeks course of tablets..but since then, I seem to have a tummy bug, which symptoms have been neausea,slight bloating (No vomiting) gurgling tummy, lack of appetite, and feeling in tummy like I have a cold.  I am also lethargic with it, I also go hot sometimes. I have no urge to empty my bowels. I am taking Pepto- Bismol,  eating bland food and need to ask, could the antibiotics have caused this?  If not, and I have a bug, how long should you take the Pepto-Bismol, before things clear up?  I have great difficulty speaking to the Doctor ( we nearly always have to wait  or see a nurse and I worry what they might do)

I have never had anything that has made me feel so low, but I am 63, and feel that  I have no defence to get rid of anything.  Any thoughts would be most welcome please?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Stop taking the pepto bismol, get yourself some probiotics friendly bacteria, like the yakults you drink, i find these are really good to get rid of bacteria in the gut that cause illnesses also great prevention, i use the tablet form daily as a vitamin too they are called multibionta you can get 3 for £10 in the supermarkets, so look out for the deals, and use the yakults also to give you a speedy recovery, get plenty of vitamin c in you, lots of water to flush your system, and always slice your sausages in half when cooking gl hoe you a speedy recovery keep to dry food for now, toast or crackers.
    • Posted

I really appreciate your reply...and will buy some tomorrow..I am willing to try anything to get back to normal.  I have been told recently, that these Antibiotics, are used for stomach ulcers as well as other infections including the inner ear..so perhaps they have affected my stomach more than intended.  I never take any medication, and only have a Beachams Powder if I feel a cold coming on...so thank you and good health to you too.
  • Posted

Quite possible the antibiotics did cause those symptoms. But get off the pepto and drink some warm garlic water 3 times a day . This should help you.
    • Posted

Thank you..I think you are quite right.  My stomach has never felt this ucomfortable...The antibiotics can be used for stomach ulcers, so they must be direct all there venom to this area..I really have no idea how long this will last though...at present I am on a bland diet and not taking Pepto..I know when our system is all out of order it makes us feel poorly..but I cant wait to feel well enough to get on with life again..I will never take these tablets again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.