What is it like

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was sick a week ago and had nausea for over 4 days and threw up 2 times and dry heaving. I didn't have diarrhea really aside from the first day and had stomach pain for the whole time. knowing it wasn't getting better I went to the hospital and was there for a week. first they seen my sodium was at 113. they said I look good for having such low sodium. I was pumped slowly til I reached 140. they did tests and found my cortisol levels were low and hardly producing any. the endo noticed that I had terrible results as in not very conclusive on the initial test idk wat it was called but was some test with a medication in the iv and a blood test 30 min after. I'm now on hydrocortisone I take two in morning when eating breakfast and one more 2 hours before bed. could it be temporary? could it be addisons? I don't feel that bad tbh. could it be the pitiuary gland having an issue. can you fix the pitiuary issue? what are some tips if I have to live with this? my heart rate is mid 80s a lot of the time too?.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Your first issue is called hyponatraemia (or hyponatremia), which is medicalese for 'low sodium'. The obvious question is - why? Although you can find a variety of possible causes on wikipedia, I don't think it is at all helpful winding yourself up about it. The main thing you need to do now is to push your endo hard to get to the bottom of it.

The test you had is called a Synacthen Test. Its purpose is to find out whether it is your pituitary or your Adrenal glands that is responsible for your low cortisol.

If (and it is a big if) it is your pituitary then a relatively minor op is needed. Although it is in your skull it is not in your brain and it is easy to get at through the back of your nose.

Everyone is different. I had a pituitary op five years ago and take various hormone replacements every day. I have no issues whatever with normal life, much better in fact.

• Posted

Your HC medication plan seems a little unusual. More typical is 20mg in the morning, 5mg at lunchtime and 5mg at teatime. The reason to do it this way is to mimic the natural production of cortisol [in people with a normal endocrine system] which peaks at 9 am and is almost zero at 3 am. Not great for people on shift work, one of many issues they face.

Best not raise it now but if you have any difficulties later, it would be worth a query with your pharmacist.

By the way, if anyone raises the question of "weaning you off hydrocortisone", you need to make absolutely sure that they understand the full story of your medical condition. This "weaning off" is done for people with a normal endocrine system who have needed extra steroids for a specific reason, and it to make sure that pituitary/adrenal system picks up the slack, it can't be stopped suddenly. If your system is not working properly, "picking up the slack" is never going to happen. Only an endcrinologist should authorise this in your case.

Have you been told to get a steroid card from your pharmacy?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.