What is manometry / 24 ph test like?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have to go on Monday for manometry and 24 hour ph test - a bit worried as the instructions I have been sent say tube will be put down my nose with no anaesthetic! Having a real uncomfortable time having to manage on gaviscon alone - and wonder how other people find this? I know I will be not sleeping right again tonight - but I'm not only getting acid problems & mucous - but also searing headache! ARGH!!!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It's unpleasent going in and irritating whilst you have it in place but bearable and certainly worth it 
    • Posted

Thank you for replying! Not relishing the idea - but it's all for the good in the end I suppose!
  • Posted

Hi, they will spray your throat to numb it so it's not too bad going up your nose and down, your throat, they will give you water to sip thru a straw multiple times as they test your swallowing, then take that tube out. After that they do the same again but this time the tube stays in and they tape it to the side of your face and it is attached to the device which you wear over your shoulder like a little bag. You will be aware of it every time you swallow, it is a bit uncomfortable but bearable for 24 hours, I found sleeping (or not!) the worst part, especially having to lie flat and having been off PPIs for a week. It is important to persevere though and get the results.  You will be fine.
  • Posted

You get mucus too.

I have been asking if anyone gets mucus.

I had a tube put down my throat before to see if I had reflux back in 1997.

Not only did they put it in but I had to wear it 24 hours and wear a monitor.

The tube going down was not painful.

All you do is swallow.

In fact it was difficult putting in my nose and several attempts were needed.

I was more upset about walking out the hospital to the parking lot with the tube taped to my face.

It will be okay.

• Posted

I'm getting this test next Wednesday after 3 years with throat pain and no diagnosis.  Can anyone tell me if I'll need to take the whole day off work?  I'm going to the hospital at 10am and know I have to go back the following day at around the same time to have the probe removed but otherwise no-one has said anything about what's involved or if I have to follow specific things to eat to test for acid etc.  Any help appreciated.
    • Posted

I think you really need to stay away from work until it's been taken out 
    • Posted

You are having a 24 hour procedure so you do need to take the day off work,   you have to write down every time you eat or drink anything and press the buttons on the gadget at the same time. It's uncomfortable so stay home and relax. I also had the next day as sick leave as well due to not sleeping during the night and because I had been off my PPIs for a week and had to eat everything to provoke the acid during the test so felt very fragile!
    • Posted

Hi Purdie,

I got information leaflets from hospital. No food for 6 hours before the test and only clear liquids 3 hours before the test - ie water, juice etc - tea and coffee without milk ok too - but the coffee would kill me off right now! That may apply to manometry test part though - I'm having 2 tests for the price of one - aren't I lucky! 

• Posted

Hi Sunlover,

Seems to make sence eating the things that upset you - otherwise how can they know how bad things get. I was going to be sensible and eat chicken - but now I will eat something I love - that hasn't been agreeing! I have a late appointment - so have taken 2 days off - that and the hospital I have to go to is 2 hours drive from home!

• Posted

Hi Dreaming,

I get pretty heavy mucus when I'm not taking my meds anyway - so it will just add to the experience. My leaflet says no anaesthetic - so I will see - think I might be closing my eyes and trying to think of other things when they put the tube down!

• Posted

Hi Dreaming,

I get pretty heavy mucus when I'm not taking my meds anyway - so it will just add to the experience. My leaflet says no anaesthetic - so I will see - think I might be closing my eyes and trying to think of other things when they put the tube down!

• Posted

Glennie,

I am thinking mucus is coming from lungs.

Acid can irritate the lungs.

Using Flonase and mucus is loosening up.

I can breathe better.

No stomach upset or pain, Thankfully.

No antacids today or burning in esophagus.

Taking a easy breath is my desire

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.