What is "normal mucosa"?

Posted , 5 users are following.

After months of acid reflu-like symptoms, I had an EGD done yesterday.  They found a hiatal hernia and a Schatzki's ring.  On the report, it also says: "Normal mucosa was noted in the whole esophagus.  Multiple forceps biopsies were performed for histoloy in the middle third of the esophagus."  

Do you know what that means, and is it serious?  I am 40 years old.

It's possible that they spoke to me about it, but I was coming out of anesthesia, so I don't remember it.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The oesophagus has a mucosal lining - to produce mucous as a lubricant and to protect the underlying layers. That it's normal is good. It hasn't been damaged by acid refluxing.

Biopsies were taken to make sure they hadn't missed anything.

• Posted

Hi 'normal mucosa' I would assume means you have no internal tissue damage in your esophagus, which is good news in a way. You state they also found a hiatal hernia did they say what type and how big? Also are you having problems swallowing? Having biopsies is quite normal & you need to just wait for them.I myself have been suffering from Osaphagitis,gasritis,duodenitis & a small hiatal hernia for the past 10 months. I have had 4 endoscopies,ct scan,ultra sound scans of the abdomen,loads of blood work,barium swallow test, MRI scan and colonoscopy.I am 49 & have loss of appetite, pain in stomach, pain when swallowing food & water, pain when speaking. I am literally ill all day from these symptoms and all results suggest it is only inflammation and no one is helping me. I am also on a very bland diet & acid supressing medication. I don't have acid reflux now, but that is how it all started.
  • Posted

Thanks for the responses so far.  My hernia (found by EGD) was described as "sliding small size hiatial hernia."  A previous barium swallow showed nothing.

This all started about two months ago when I started having deep burps in the morning and nasua.  Then, I got a sore throat that lasted four weeks.  The ENT perscibed me some PPIs and after about a month the sore throats became less frequent.  Weeks ago I also had sensations of food being stuck, but that went away.  Currently I suffer from horseness about every two days, daily pain in one ear, and a feeling that I have been strangled.

I also have one and off abdominal pain.  The scanned it, and said that I have one slighly enlarged lymph node.  They are taking a "wait and see" approach.  I fear the worst.  Hopefully the biopsy comes back normal.

• Posted

I hope your biobsy is OK and your symptoms improve. Having this type of hernia is quite common & as in my case, thorough investigations and still no clear underlying reason for my problems which to me is very frustrating. Mine started after a New years eve night out, the next morning I got stomach pains & loss of appetite, this continued for 3 weeks. Then I had severe acid reflux for 3 weeks and burning type stomach pains. I was slowly eating very less & loss of appetite still continues. I don't get acid reflux now.Very nasty illness out of nowhere. Currently I eat a very bland diet to sort of be out of pain & take PPIs, which don't help much.I too fear the worse for my future but the tests come back negative to anything too serious.
  • Posted

The test came back.  I have allergic esophagitis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.