What is normal pain during hip fracture recovery?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a dynamic hip screw fitted 10 weeks ago. It's been pretty smooth sailing, complied with all restrictions and instructions given to me. Callus formation was seen at 6 weeks (fracture line still visible)

I'm allowed to weight bear 50%-75% on crutches at the moment. Next x-ray in 2 weeks.

Not had much pain or stiffness. I'm a bit worried because the last few days out of nowhere I have short stabbing pains across the top area of my thigh even when sitting.

I'm so worried about the blood supply and the risks of AVN. Does anyone have any advice or experiences to share about what sort of pain is normal on this journey? 

I was with a physio for the first couple of weeks but have been left to get on with it myself now. I did ask them what sort of pain was normal but they told me a different answer every time!  I'm thinking of ringing the fracture clinic for advice tomorrow if it continues or gets worse.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry forgot to say it was a non displaced neck of femur fracture.
    • Posted

Hi hoggle, I fractured my neck of femure two years ago in june, because of misdiagnosis I wasn't given a repair, hence I was told I could weight bear to tolerance, too much weight on it and a couple of bad moves and I have ended up with an impacted, displaced fracture, non healing but stable, so pain is normal as long as it's not absolute agony, you can ice the hip but not on the wound as I'm presuming it's still not completely healed.

Just take your time, no sudden moves and extra careful getting in and out of cars etc

• Posted

Oh sorry to hear that sad How are you now.

Thanks for the help. smile Yes I'm trying to be extra careful with the sudden moves, sudden jerky movements seem to hurt a little bit. I'm not in agony, I suppose I'm just worrying because I've hardly had any pain and now at week 10 I'm getting pain starting up. It could be anything I suppose, could be muscular. Just anxious to know now. 

Thanks again. smile

• Posted

Thanks for asking, I'm ok, saw consultant two weeks ago, awaiting appointment with neurologist, I'm a glass half full type of person so just get on with it, I'm allowed to drive so that's good.

It is scary not knowing what each twinge is and as you say AVN can be a worry as well but I think you will be fine, yours is going to heal so the blood supply is obviously ok, mines not healing and thankfully not in mine, yet eeek

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.