What is normal with sciatica?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, just to give a brief overview I've been suffering with sciatica for quite some time (approx 4 years); this was picked up by my personal trainer after a particularly nasty 'attack' I had in front of her however I have been seeing the doctor for years and referred to physios who until I have paid to see one privately have just given me the various unhelpful exercises to do. I am 26 years old.  I have been trying to manage the pain by exercises from my new physio which do help, as well as using a TENS machine - which helps slightly. As well as taking ibuprofen on a regular basis. My question is what is normal when it comes to sciatica and when do people know when its worth visiting the doctor again? I have noticed for some time that my (mainly right) leg gives way quite a lot when I've been standing and walking for some time e.g. if I go out shopping. It means I have to drag it along for 5 - 10 minutes until it recovers any feeling. I have also noticed my 'attacks' becoming more and more frequent. My definition of attacks being the point where I'm laid on the floor having suffering from severe spasms. These sometime pass quickly, othertimes not so quickly. My fiance is adament I need to see a doctor as it seems to be getting worse however I'm unsure whether this is wasting their time. I would be grateful for any input anyone could offer.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Josi , i am 48 but when i hurt my back i was 21 and have been in pain since then. I had back surgery when i was 34 and really was of no use to me pain has been off and on or maybe i have gotten used to it , on ocassion i would get a flare up for a couple of weeks and than i am good to go , staying active for me has always been a good medicine for me speaking of medicine i have never taken much or on a daily basis , up until 3 weeks ago when sciatica hit me again and worse than ever , medicines have not helped and drs are just guving me ibuprofen so i have found that heat and rest are helping more . Good luck to you
  • Posted

If you are losing sensation the that is a matter for the GP asap, losing sensation could be nerve damage and needs looking out quickly before it worsens. Sciatica can cause really bad spasms and these are a regular symptom of the condition however if things start to feel numb or you are losing sensation this is when the nerves are starting to get crushed to a critical point. Go to your GP and let them check you over, it's better to be safe with these things, once you damage a nerve permanently you can't get it back again.

Best of luck 

Rachel 

• Posted

I fully endorse what Rachel (Birdbrain) has to say - nerve damage is a bugger (I have paresthesia in my right foot - permanent (24/7) numbness/pins&needles) I am on diazepam (muscle relaxant) naproxen, pregabalin (pain killers), and go for 'physioptherapy' (12 minutes recumbent bike, about 2.5 miles, and 12 minutes rowing machine, about 2250-2500 metres) weekly, but this eight week course is about half-way through, and no improvement to date, not that I expected much from it, because previously I had been referred by my doctor to my local leisure centre for a twelve week course of weights, cycling, leg curls, leg pulls etc and that didn't do anything for me either (what I mean by that is that I didn't feel any better for having lasted the course, however it may be that it did me some good, but did nothing to affect the paresthesia); I was also initially prescribed both morphine and amitriptyline, which are highly recommended by me if you want to end up like a zombie, or maybe it was a combination of these drugs (and the ones mentioned above) plus all the diabetes medicines that I take, and/or the blood pressure pills, or maybe just the anto=i-histamines or the ferrous sulphate - GO AND SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!!!
  • Posted

Had it on and off since my 20's now 44 this time its worst than ever had MRI Phyiso hydro both did nothing for me now both feet toes are numb and tingling leg spasms walking is very painful the leg spams is full on during the day the pain is always there even with strong painkillers such as tramadol i have to wait till night i take Amitriptyline 30-40 mg they take hours to work just too get a full night sleep 
  • Posted

Hi there

i think you should  be visiting your GP if you have periods whereby you drag your leg.  Have you had a MRI scan done before?  If not I would be asking to be referred for one but be aware that you can wait up to 12 weeks for this.  My GP dud not refer me for an MRI until I had been suffering for 3 months. I ended up receiving one following an admission to hospital due to numbness in various areas. No was asked if I had weakness in my leg that resulted in it giving way.  So given what your describing I would get an appointment to see your GP. 

Good on luck.  

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Jackie. I went to the GP yesterday after seeing a few of your comments and being pushed by my exasperated fiance! Unfortunately I saw a junior GP - who although was very friendly and had a lot of time to discuss the problem, sadly didn't know the answer. I'm waiting on a call back as she was going to refer this on. However she did say that as I still had things like 'no bladder weakness' then it was not critical. The leg dragging she said was irriating but as I can feel the skin and it's just an inability to move it (without dragging) then again it is not critical. Not quite the answer I want - obviously I don't want anything critical but I would like some kind of solution! I do have private medical insurance so I'm thinking of asking for a referal for an MRI. My mum has degenerative disc disease which whilst it is not heriditary, I have seen what leaving back problems can do. On another note, have you ever tried pilates? I have had a few people recommend this for back pain.
    • Posted

Hi

If you have Private Health Insurance get referred for a scan as it will give an idea as to what's going on.

Like you I was also told that given I hadn't lost full control of my bladder I wasn't an emergency. I have been referred by Orthopedic Surgeon on an urgent basis to a Neurosurgeon as he feels I need surgery. I was advised at start of the week that I should have an appointment in the next couple of weeks. If I hadn't been admitted to hospital I would still be waiting for MRI scan.

Given my experience I have now taken private health insurance out. It won't cover my current problem but don't ever want to find myself in a situation like this again.

Contact your insurance company and arrange for scan and if required you will be able to see consultant privately.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi believe me I know what you are going through.  It is not normal and it CAN get better.  The only problem is you need to push which I know is difficult but it is impinging on your entire life.  It is very hard on evryone around you seeing you like that and feeling helpless to help you.  The Doctor will no doubt pat you on the head if they are anything like mine and send you away with a perscription for drugs that can have long term side affects which they fail to tell you about.

What has caused it would be my first question it doesn't just suddenly appear you need to fight and push and quite honestly annoy the doctor so much that they take action.

I started off six months ago with "a sore back" no one was prepared to do anything as it was only a sore back the fact that I couldn't move was completely beside the point up until then I was active.  I have had delay after delay and had to really fight.  I eventually got an MRI Scan that highlighted that I had a bulging disk with a tear and it was pressing on the nerve causing classic sciatic pain.  I am still in limbo waiting for action and the only way I am getting anywhere admittedly very slowly is by pushing.  This is your life and believe me life is too short to waste time being worried that you can't do what you want in case your leg gives out.

Go to the doctor ask what they can do after 4 years you need answers don't just acccept things push and live life without the fear of another attack. 

You are young and need to enjoy your life it is a sad state of affairs when we have to resort to paying for the help we need.

I regularly see a good chiropractor and have an osteopath on stanby too.

Dont put off seeing your doctor and demand action.

I wish you all the luck look into Bowen therapy it may help.  acupuncture also can help with the pain and keep you on an even keel especially id you have had good results with a tens machine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.