What is Pityriasis? How is it caused?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had been through this nightmare 2 years ago.. I was in college then .. it first appeared on my groin area and then neck.. I thought it was a mosquito bite since my skin often react to insect bites.. but this was abnormal .. it increased.. then after a week there was a big patch (which later I discovered was the herald patch) when my mom saw that she thought it was ringworm.. she took me to the doctor.. the doctor had no idea about what it was.. he had a blank look on his face.. he simply told me to bathe with a medicinal soap.. The thing which surprises me is this condition has never been known to anyone around me, neither doctors nor any of my grandparents..

I want to know how exactly it is caused..

I live in India.. I'm a kind of person who hates visiting the doctor.. and so I researched about this.. my type of marks led me to a conclusion that I was suffering with PR..In India, weather here is humid all throughout the year.. and so this skin condition of mine reduced only through one way.. I kept staying outside in the sun during the day.. although I realised it much later and hence the marks reduced only after 2 months.. but I completely recovered. That nightmare ended..by God' Grace..

But today I have a question to all of you'll.. How is this skin condition caused? I would love to know the reason behind this terrible condition..

Please do write below what all you'll have experienced. Somehow there would be something common between all of us that led this condition to have an effect on us..

Thank you all!πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜‡

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It's believed to be caused by a virus. My doctor told me that I could have caught the virus years ago, and it was only now flaring up. I was under a lot of stress when my PR started, so I believe that probably triggered it due to a lowered immune system.

• Posted

I guess Stress could be the reason that caused it to show up..

I remember My Professional Exam along with my College exam was around that time.. I guess that led to increased stress and caused PR for me.

But another thing which confuses me.. People and Doctors say that PR is not contagious.. but during the healing process of my PR my younger brother had similar spot on his shoulder.. but that was it.. it didn't spread to other parts of his body..

Thank you so much for your replyπŸ˜‡

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.