What is Recovery like?

Posted , 2 users are following.

It has been almost three weeks since my operation ( a sacrospinous fixation for uterine prolapse, which also lifted the bladder) and I just simply don’t know what’s normal to be feeling now.These are the things I am still experiencing:

1) I still need to urinate often each day, varying from needing to go every hour to having three to four hours in between toilet visits. 

2) off and on having the feeling of needing to urinate in between toilet visits. The number of hours I have this feeling varies each day. 

3) sort of a hot, irritated feeling on the inside. Not really a burning feeling but sort of a raw feeling. 

Are these things recognizable? I am just getting worried because the leaflet about the recovery doesn’t mention any of these things. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Ren123,

I am day 17 post A&P with TOT sling repair and I can identify with some of your experiences.  Urination - feels different - can’t always tell how full I am, sometimes I am surprised at how much I go - and other times I am surprised that I’m not putting out as much volume as I thought I would.  The flow is different.  I have found if I don’t go as soon as I feel the urge - it take a LOT longer to come out and even when I think I am done - it starts again.  I have read that our bladders can get royally teed off due to the manipulation they go through during the procedure and that it takes time for everything to settle down.  If there is burning or signs/symptoms of a UTI - we are to contact our health care providers immediately.  The burning/raw feeling - definitely have felt that.  In my case it would seem to start if I had been up perhaps more than I should have and it was located on the inner external vaginal area tissue.  It would feel as though acid had been poured on the tissue and would also sometimes itch.  However - no discharge that would indicate a yeast infection. Rinsing with a Peri bottle, rest and an ice pack would gradually bring relief. I called the medical office and the nurse told me I could also use Vaseline to provide some relief to the external tissues.  I think if this happens again, though - I will use coconut oil.  I rested all day on Sunday - only very brief times out of bed and it was amazing to see the difference!  Swelling was down and no burning episodes!  I think I am just so surprised still as to what ends up being “too much”. Even sitting up for too long or going into the kitchen to prepare a meal for an hour or taking a shower for a bit leaves me wiped out and swollen.

I wish you well in your recovery and hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you for your answer. My gyn called me yesterday and has suscribed vesicare to try to calm my bladder down. So we’ll see how that will go. 

What’s just also really bothering me is the fact that I feel a pressure kind of feeling on the pubic bone when standing  walking. It then starts to feel hot. 

• Posted

Hi Ren123,

I’m glad your gym called in the meds, that was a good thought.  I also feel pressure on my pubic bone when up for any length of time...I just figured it likely has something to do with the sling I had put in and then the pain starts traveling down the inner leg tendon. I have found that I still need to take ibuprofen as it seems to keep the discomfort from raging into a monster. 

I hope your day is restful and relatively pain free. 😊

• Posted

And......today I had a look to see where that burning feeling came from....it was bright red and irritated where I felt that. So I applied some cream and that helps tremendously for that! Same as you said about applying vaseline. It’s a relief to not feel a burning sensation.

Ah, so you have that pressure as well when up and about. My guess is that it may also have to do with the fact that everything is in different position than before and that maybe our bodies need to get adjusted to that. 

• Posted

Hi Ren123,

While I am not glad you are hurting - I am immensely relieved to know that someone else has experienced the awful burning that I was last week and through half the weekend.  Thankfully - I haven’t had it happen for the last two days.    You are likely right about the pressure root cause.  I know they also manipulated in that area for me while placing the TOT bladder sling.  At this point I am grateful that I seem to be healing without infection and that I have managed to sit up all morning today without being absolutely miserable!  Celebrate progress, right?! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.