What is rock bottom to u to quit drinking? Deaths door step did not stop my son.

Posted , 2 users are following.

There is no disgrace or shame in being an alcoholic. What will bring on the shame is if you are given the gift of sobriety and throw it away for a few hours of feelings. I had to deal with it every day with my son..do it was one day at a time with him for years of pain rehab and disappointment.

I am not a alcoholic although I could have been I don't know how some end up in the demons clutch and other who have endured great pain in life do not.

If one stopped drinking and slips then I have Heard my son say he wanted his misery back it would be there & it would be waiting for him any time He decided He wanted it back.

I believe in the Big Book and the program promises. My son does too.  Yet he can't seem to stay in a sober place. I have let go yet I will always luv him.I understand the mental breakdown alcohol has on the brain.

It would be so nice if he didn't have to wake up every day wandering what He said or did (or maybe who He did) ,the night before. Wow what a wonderful feeling to know he felt sane & secure.

That he could just pick himself up and do what he needs to do with out that sick fish for a drink.

That he has not done any thing that would affect him the rest of his life.

That he has good health.

That he can be the uncle, brother, father and husband he was meant to be.

So if I could ask for one thing for any one of the people on this alcohol forum for today I would ask you to start out as a whole new day and stop living in the past & let yesterday go. Give urself forgiveness to move on thru to the other side of alcoholism that leads to SOBRIETY.  

I Think that there r those who can find sobriety and some who have so much self hate from all the guit of an alcoholic life that they will never find sobriety.no matter how much they r told they r loved.

I ask those who are caught in the struggle of the alcoholic life what do they think would be a rock bottom place in their lives before they quit alcohol and decided that sobriety was their only salvation. Then found a way to find help with out all the excuses??????

3 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Perhaps part of the problem is that it still carries a stigma..   When you feel validated,   and not ashamed,   the chances of you relapsing are so very much smaller.

Guilt,  anger,  judgment....these are things that carry no weight when you're in the midst of addiction.

I hate having to say this,   but it is necessary in this instance.

Unless you're actually going through it,   your perspective is always going to be different.     

• Posted

Very true Joe. Thank u so much for taking time to answer.

i appreciate UR input. Means a lot to me. cool

• Posted

I can almost feel your pain from this far away  sad

Is there anything we might be able to suggest?   I'm a medicolegal researcher and I'm handy with the interweb  smile

• Posted

Just that u r here. Listening and perhaps spread my story to those who need a rude awakening to see the light is the best gift u could give me.

thankx my friend.

• Posted

Dear hope 4cure,

What a very honest  and extremely moving letter x I am sure that all the people on this website sympathize with you with real compassion.  I do kind of understand in a way how you feel, we spent many days without sleep or calmness when we were on suicide watch with one of our sons in particular, we opened his bedroom door with a sense of utter dread 24hrs a day (in turns) for many months, but you are still living with your terrible situation and I cannot imagine how utterly helpless and desperately sad and lost you must feel.  It must have been agony watching your beloved son on the street and being treated  so badly, people can be exceptionally cruel.

I wish there was something I could say to help you in some way, but I send you many prayers and hope you find some peace in the serenity prayer...

Very sincere wishes to you, Deidre xx

• Posted

My heart goes out to u . Bless u and THANKX for sharing UR story. 

And most of all for being supportive & non judgmental of what I have shared .

Peace, luv & laughter

ur friend

HOPE

• Posted

Hi, hope,

Never ever give up hope that your son may one day have his life and health back, his suffering and yours seems so unfair and distressing and I pray that it will stop....

keep shouting from the rooftops just how awful and hellish this terrible self imposed 

Affliction is.....

Being a mother is the most wonderful and rewarding blessing we will ever experience

We love our children so much it sometimes hurts like help.

I pray that things can and will be more stable for you

• Posted

U r SPOT ON...

THANK YOU so much for UR kind support.

CHEERS

HOPE

see our hugs sent to U...in pic..below..

• Posted

You asked a specific question which I completely forgot to answer...oops!

When I married my husband (he's not the deceased one obviously),   he came as a package set with two adult daughters and three almost illegally cute grandbabies.

(And number four is cooking!)

Can I start at pancreatits?

For 2 years prior,   I was drinking about 750 ml of vodka PER DAY.

Yeap.    That much.     At that point I really did mean it when I said "I'm quitting!".

I did not.    I just swapped out vodka for boxes of wine,   and this led up to 2013 when I was incredibly sick.    Cue biopsy/ultrasound/images.   Cirrhosis,  encephalitis, portal hypertension,  varices and of course the oh-so-attractive jaundice.

It IS critical (for me at least) to have a steady support network.   My family gives me strength.

• Posted

UR family is strength.. UR heart is UR family..

thank you so much for UR honest answer. Many can get their health back once they quit. I prey that's UR case.

((GENTAL HUGS SENT UR WAY ))

see pic

• Posted

*thank you*  smile

If nothing else,  I'm honest lol  :D

• Posted

That Joe is UR best quality and what save you.

PEACE,LUV & LAUGHTER confused

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.