What is T3 hormone can someone say pls?edno says is not important as T4 my T3 is still high

Posted , 3 users are following.

so my t3 was really high when i first diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.

i ve been taking carbimazole for about 4 months.tsh and t4 are normalized but t3 is still high

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I, too would like to know about T3 being high.   I have recently changed my doctor, so I am guessing that my blood tests are being done at another laboratory.   Since moving to the new surgery, both my blood tests have shown high T3 and they told me this was not so in my old surgery.   If this is not the reason, the only other change was the medication.  I was on NeoMercazole but they changed me to Carbimazole.   Any ideas?   My doctor spoke to a Consultant and was told that high T3 reading means overactivity.  I am getting mixed signals.
    • Posted

Neo-Mercazole is the active ingredient in Carbimazole. T3 is called triiodothyronine and is the active form of thyroxine (T4). T4 is converted to T3 outside the thyroid. The important levels are FT4 and FT3, the free portion of the hormone that is not bound to any protein.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.