what is the best advice on c.o.p.d?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with this condition and would welcome some advice as to how I can avoid weight gain from steroids?

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Gary, I have severe COPD, some of my medication has steroids in (fluticasone) but I am assured by my physio that it isn't going to make me put a lot of weight on and I have been on it for years. I am only on inhalers so if you are on tablets etc things may be different for you but otherwise I wouldn't expect that you will balloon out. June/oddbiddy
  • Posted

Thanks for that, I know it's early days yet but this is aggressive and changing very rapidly, I have severe pain down my left side so have to go back to doc on 28th, will see what happens and keep in touch, again thanks for reply
  • Posted

Aw sorry you are in pain Gary, can't help you there I haven't had pain with my COPD except for cramp. I hope the doc sorts the problem out. June
  • Posted

Hi,

I have a friend who is visiting an alternative therapy for her COPD. so maybe it is just worth browsing the internet for anything complementary for this problem. she is on her medication but she could reduce it since having the therapy. good luck & wish you well!:-)

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the information, I hope your friend keeps on feeling better because of it. June
  • Posted

My Dad has just been diagnosed with COPD in August, after ending up in A&E unable to breathe with saturation levels of 35! They put him on Prednisone and gave him a couple of inhalers, but like Liveharmony, I generally prefer the natural alternative if I can find one. Luckily we have a Salt Cave close to us which has been a godsend. After going there 2 or 3 times a week for the last month, he has been able to reduce the Prednisone to just 1 tablet a day ( I'm really keen to get him off it after reading about all the nasty side effects) and keep his saturation levels above 95, even after reducing the steroids and he is only using his puffer once a day now. I really don't understand why salt therapy isn't more widely recommended by health professionals for respiratory conditions as is is completely natural and has no side effects unlike steroids!
  • Posted

yes the salt treatment does work, in Poland they have hospitals in the salt mines and a concert hall. Not everybody can get to one unfortunately. There are salt pipes one can buy, or it's easy to make your own for a fraction of the cost. You can buy a bag of the proper salt, forgotten its name at the moment and put some in an plastic pill box, put holes in the lid with a bodkin and breath in the salt. Don't get it damp though, I did that by putting my salt pipe in a drawer for some weeks, when I was later showing somebody how to use one it gave me a chest infection. June
  • Posted

Yes I know it's been amazing smile I bought my dad one of those ceramic salt pipes as they sell them at the branch that he goes to. he's been using it everyday now for a week and it's really helping to reduce his wheeziness on the days in between his visits to the salt cave. If you can't find a salt room near you then salt pipes are are a pretty good alternative smile
  • Posted

Do be careful with the salt pipes, if you are going to store them for a while they must be kept out of moist conditions. I left mine in a drawer for a while and then demonstrated to somebody how they worked, gave me a chest infection. I read an article where a man showed us how to make one from an old pill jar, he put holes in the lid and filled it with this special salt and it did the same job. Anything like that tickles me. good luck to your Dad with his pipe. June
  • Posted

Thanks June, good advice smile I will make sure that we keep it somewhere nice and dry smile It is definitely making a huge difference to my dad, the pipe along with a couple a sessions a week at the salt cave and he's almost back to his old self smile

Nature is a wonderful thing smile

• Posted

so glad your Dad is feeling a lot better. Amazing how the ordinary things in life are the most beneficial, salt, vinegar, fresh air, sunlight. We just have to find the right formula for our disease. Mine seems to be oxygen, now what is as common as that? June
  • Posted

hii friends,these are few remedies to prevent aggrevating copd.

->mostly try to avoid pickles, curd, cold food, refrigerated food, sweet food, meat & fish, crabs, shellfish, prawn, mackrels.

->coming to exercises practicing breathing exercises and pranayamais help full.

• Posted

Yes your eating habits can make a massive difference. It is so confusing though because everyone tells different things. I have copd in the family, I am not affected thanks god at least not with copd, but I do have asthma. I tried salt therapy too with good results.
  • Posted

Trial and error would seem to be the thing. Every day I have a cupful of dark berries for lunch, followed by cucumber, celery, tomato, spring onion and anything of that nature. I chop it up very small mix a little mayonnaise to keep it together and have it on two dark ryvita, that's lunch and I never get tired of it. for a drink I have coconut water, by which I swear. Also I have a spoonful of honey every day. So for dinner in the evening i eat a varied diet and feel great. I am 77 and have severe COPD but apart from that I am very fit. I also do leg exercises as I spend most of my time sitting. Not too much junk, I allow myself one sweet a day as I read in bed and we have a pudding on Sundays. I have three kinds of inhaler and that's my lot, I try not to have too much medication. Anybody else know of any food that is specially beneficial?
  • Posted

Hy All,

I just also would like to join to the 'do it naturally' team smile

Someone mentioned the salt cave in Poland. I also been in one in Romania. Man, those caves are huge!! Enjoyed it so much.

Now I found another 'cave' but its rather like a salt room. The concentration is higher than in the natural salt caves. Its really relaxing, I had several sessions now and I feel myself much much more better than before. Salt is the best, I can truly recommend for everyone with any breathing problem!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.