What is the best way of diagnosing pulmonary embolisms?

Posted , 5 users are following.

According to the internet the best way is through CT scan but there are two types of CT scan. The first type is CT angiogram and the second is CT with contrast. Which is better? What kind of CT scan was used to diagnose your PEs? I would really appreciate some replies.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My PE blood clot was diagnosed from the CT scan with contrast. I had a PE clot July 2017 was on Eliquis for 6 months. The doctor took me off after 6 months cause all the tests that they thought could have triggered my clot came back negative so he took me off the Eliquis two months later I had another one April 2018 and it was founded through the CT scan with contrast so now I back on Eliquis for life. I hope this helps
    • Posted

Me too. Off the Coumadin less then 3 months and developed blood clots in my lungs again. Now a lifer on blood thinners.
  • Posted

My clots were picked up by the emergency room with a d-dimer reading 2300. This was ignored by the consultant and only when I collapsed a week later was a contrast CT carried out which showed all the clots.

So, I guess what I am saying is the most important aspect of the diagnosis wasn’t to much which test, but the skill and attitude of the doctors.

• Posted

I had the CT angiogram with contrast both times I had PE's.

• Posted

Hi Mohan,

I would say that the CT Scan with contrast saved my life.

When I attended A&E the medical consultant wanted to send me to my GP to investigate my breathlessness etc. I felt too ill to argue so nearly left A&E. LUCKILY a nurse came back with my blood results and sent me for X-Ray and from there for a contrast CT Scan which showed a massive saddle clot across both lungs.

If you are at all worried push for tests and the CT scan with contrast. I hope this is useful for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.