What is the impact of the so called "Clean eating" plague

Posted , 4 users are following.

Any informed person would know that perhaps as low as 1-2% of people have food intolerances/allergies. It would appear in western countries 25% or more wrongly believe that they also have them. The well meaning but mislead are driving a fashion for gluten, lactose etc etc free meals. As with so many things, ignorance seems more common than good common scense. Anyone out there also concerned by just how easy it is for people to believe and follow crazy things?

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm more concerned about why people are so concerned with other people's food. Most are following diets because they feel better on it. Scientists do not have the answers for everything. 

• Posted

Jenny, I'm concerned with why people do silly things without any good cause. I'm concerned with people who recognised that because scientist don't know everything take it as an opportunity to introduce psydoscience, and irrational behaviour in the place of knowledge and rationality.

Like it or not, science is th best way we have to sort the wheat from the chaff, anything else is just wild speculation.

I wrote my piece to bring the uninformed out of the woodwork, it seems to have worked.

• Posted

Keep being concerned.

Meanwhile the sensible will do what is right for them after doing their research. I would not wish your world onto anyone where they either suffer needlessly or face unnecessary chiding. 

• Posted

Jenny, because I try to keep my thinking and behaviour grounded in scientific evidence, I find it hard to understand why others seem to act upon nothing more than belief. Oh, while I'm at it, may I ask this discussion be kept civil, and I apologise if I offended, more light and less heat would be better.

When I venture to extend an opinion, I can furnish evidence if it is challenged, the things I submit are not my opinion, they are based upon the research of many eminent men and women working away for the betterment of us all, findings are based on probability, and little is left to speculation. Findings are often inconclusive, and sometimes misleading, particularly if based on small numbers. However it is the best we have, and people ignore science at their peril.

I appreciate it's hard for people not lucky enough to have received a scientific education to fully appreciate what it is all about. When you say you do your research, I'm I wonder what that involves? If you want to learn more about a medical, nutritional or other science based subject, you can learn more on this very site, not nessesarily from a forum such as this, but definitely on the educational pages provided for our enlightenment.

You may be glad to know I don't have much more to add, but by way of a final shot, believe less and prove more!

• Posted

Well said!  Most lay people, I think,  don't seem to check out more than 1 legitimate source! 

I personally think that it's because we are often so desperate for an answer but more importantly is a solution!   It's very hard not to be drawn into what sounds plausible!

Here we always joke around and say "It Must Be True I Read It On The Internet" Haha!  Good to read your posts,  Susan 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.