What is the longest SVT episode you’ve ever had and how fast was your heart rate.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just curious. Every time I have an episode I freak out. The last bad episode I had my heart rate was 245bpm and it lasted around 2 hours.

Also how do you revert back to Sinus Rhythm? Do you experience any other symptoms such as chest pain or diziness?

i've had SVT since I were 13. I'm now 23, I didn't have any episode after the age of 15 until a few months ago, so I had eight years free from it. Currently waiting for an ablation to get it fixed.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey, I'm around your age, I'm 22. Have had SVT since I was 10. Happened like clockwork throughout my childhood and teen years, very severe. The year I was 17, after being put on Atenolol, I didn't have any SVT at all. Then just some tiny episodes when I was 18-19, and I thought it was mostly gone for good. I was pretty happy about that. Then, bam... just after my 20th birthday, I had the worst SVT I'd ever had. Up until that point, even though it was bad, my heart had always reverted on its own. But that day, it just didn't stop.

I was in a restaurant when it happened, went to the bathroom, laid on the floor (ew), hoping it would stop. I tried loads of techniques and it didn't stop. Went home and popped a few Atenolols, still didn't stop. Took loads of Magnesium, that didn't stop it either. The beta blocker and Magnesium definitely lowered my pulse, but I was still in SVT, which was a strange feeling. It just didn't want to stop. Then went to hospital and had the Adenosine. Very strange feeling. Stayed overnight and was officially diagnosed the next morning... and was given Verapamil, which I still take. All in all that episode probably lasted 3 and a 1/2 hours from when I got it in the restaurant till they injected me in the hospital.

A few months after that hospitalistion, whilst on Verapamil, I had one breakthrough episode. I was two minutes away from the hospital, so I went right in. I got into the hospital bed, and some nurses started examining me, setting up an IV. Then a cardiologist came in and massaged my neck artery whilst he was examined me. That was enough to revert it! So it lasted probably only 30 minutes. Maybe he was a super talented doctor, but I'm inclinced to think it was the Verapamil that made it so much easier to revert to sinus rhythm. At first I was bummed that I had a breakthrough episode even when taking Verapamil, so my dose was increased. I now take a pretty high albeit safe dose. And it works! That episode was almost two years ago now! So I haven't had an SVT in two years. 😃 And that's wonderful to me. Even though I have to take medicine, I feel like I have my life back. I still feel fear in certain situations that used to induce the SVT, but I remind myself that, thanks to Verapamil, there's only really a 0.000001 chance that I'll ever get it again. And if it were to happen, it would revert quickly.

I know a lot of people are against taking drugs, but for me, there wasn't really any other choice. Ablation isn't really an option for me for other reasons, so I'm honestly just so happy that the meds work. In my case, the advantages hugely outweigh the disadvantages. I've had pretty uncomfortable ectopics recently, but it's a much better alternative than SVT. My SVT was so persistent and scary that anything to keep it at bay now is a good thing. I'm particularly passionate about keeping it at bay because I started having it when I was so young and so scared of it, and it really affected my quality of life, especially because my parents never took me to the doctor to try and diagnose it, so I was just left on my own to deal with it. I really won't allow it to interfere with my life again. Things are good! Thankfully we have medication that can help SVT, and, in my case, completely eradicate it. And for many people, ablation works well. Hope things get better for you, if you ever want to chat about being young and having SVT, just message me.

• Posted

wow! your avnrt story sounds very similar to mine!

Im 18 male and i had my first epsiode when I was 13 years old.

Up until last year the svt would come and go sometimes multiple (10-20) times a day

but i was always able to stop them in seconds by using vasalva method.

Last year suddenly the episode would not stop and i was given adenosine.

Went for ablation and currently hoping it stays that way!

im glad that medication works for you!

I was given betablockers prior to the procedure and

it was quite the horrible experience! 😄

• Posted

Mine are always over 200 beats and they can last up to 1+ hours. However my cardiologist tells me to go to the ER if it doesn't stop in 10 minutes! I used to follow her advice, but now I wait and keep trying to break it ....so I can avoid the wait time and adenosine in the ER.

• Posted

248 bpm and it lasted over 90 minutes until they converted it at the ER with Adenosine. All other SVT attacks were 30 minutes or less so I never even had a chance to go to the ER.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.