what is the trigger?? Need some advice

Posted , 7 users are following.

I ahve just been told I have diabetes 2,mi blood/Glucose levels over the last three months have been 4.8,4.8,and 4.7. I got a letter from the practice tell inf me to go and see one of there nurse,s I went in and she told me that the doctor had made me diabete,s two, after some talking she kind of said to me that she did not agree.. I am at the moment going to try and control it with diet, I was offered a pill but declined it. What I dont know is what is the b/g level that tips you over. Do I need to get a meter to check my bloods, and I am starting to excersie on a bike as my gym chappies tell me its the fast way to loose a tyre around your waist..Just what the hell can I Eat is another one, there,s all the good fats and the bad fats. I have had none of the sytems, had my feet checked ect all good to go. Down side is my mother had diabetes 2 for 33yrs.. Just need advice which way to go here, any help thank you in advance. there seems to be a lot of rubbish about.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Evening Ian,

Suggest you Google the Global Diabetes Community.  Will bring you to the excellent website which will provide you with the best, up-to-date information.

Was diagnosed with prediabetes last October and the information and support I have received has been amazing.

Good luck.  Tried to send the website's name earlier, but it was blocked.

Kind regards, Lynn

• Posted

Thanks Lyn for the information, this seems to be the hardest thing to find. I will have a look this evening at the site.

Merry Christmas

• Posted

Hope you manage to find the correct website!  It's tremendous.

Merry Christmas to you, too.

• Posted

Me again,

Meant to say, I don't understand why you are being diagnosed type 2 with those BG readings as they are definitely non-diabetic readings!

• Posted

I thought that about the readings, but it seems they have all been brought down. As I understand it the Kick off is about 4.5, but I have so far not got any cofirmation. The Diabete's nurse was not impressed when I saw her and said so, but also said her hands had been tied by the doctor.
    • Posted

You must try to get a printout of your latest bloods.  If I am reading this correctly, your highest reading is 4.8?  Well, non-diabetic levels are 4.0 - 5.9 before meals and under 7.8 2 hours after, so you are well within non-diabetic levels.

The information that the NHS offers is light-years away from up to date research.  Carbs are, by far, the biggest cause of high blood sugar.  What prediabetics (like myself) and diabetics should be cutting out are pasta,,potatoes, rice and bread and,,of course, sugar, pastry, cakes, crisps etc.

• Posted

Your nurse / doctor should at least have provided you with a diet sheet which shows what's bad and not bad for diabetics. If you are type 2 then why reject a pill? It is better to protect what you have rather that let things creep further which it can do if not watched.

your trigger is going to be high glucose (hyperglycaemia, called having a hyper) or low glucose (hypoglycaemia, called having a hypo). 

Simple advice is cut the easy rubbish like chocolate, cakes and other high sugar content foods. Then read about carbs in diabetes. Every type of carb turns to glucose. I am type 2 (insulin controlled) and wad advised by my nurse to stick to 65g of carbs per meal (have to read the labels.....eg 100g od carbs does not equal 100g of pasta for example...you have to look at the carb content per xyz on the packets to work it out.

UK normal glucose levels for type 2 is 4-7 mmol/L before eating and under 9mmol/L 2 hrs after eating.

US 70-130 mg/dl before, under 180md/dl after.

you can get a tester if you like. It might help you know what's going on day to day, but of the main thing is your hba1c is 7% when getting a checkup (usually yearly or 6monthly if at risk). Speak to your doc because you might be able to get the test strips and test needles on prescription. They are expensive, with 50 test strips being about £15-30

If you don't control it, the negative effects can lead to glaucoma, blindness, leg infections, total numbness in lower limbs / amputation, big kidney problems, dialysis......these are just a few.

last thing is a reminder to google carbs in diabetics. That's what diet controlled is all about.

• Posted

I was given the handout with the plate on it,with what and not to eat,but it gets a little tricky in the supermarket. What is a good diabetic meal? Eggs with a few chips and beans? The rubbish food went out the window along with sugar about a year ago.I rejected the pill as it was put to me that is squeeze my pancreas to get more insulin and speeds up my metabolism. Was not tosure I wanted all that. You havegot me answer about carbs and how to find out how much to eat a meal..I will get after that for sure I may come back to you later if you dont mind..

Merry Christmas. Ian

• Posted

Ian

Sorry to hear of your health issue.

Have you consider going to another doctor to get a second opinion and prehaps more advise and support then you seem to have gotten from your current medical people.

Prehaps your mum with a long standing 33 years experience would be a good reference point?

Regards

Tangles

• Posted

Hi Tangles I am to have a blood test in three months time,I told my Diabete's nurse if I am lower and have lost some weight I will then want a second opinion. My mum passed away at age 83 to alzheimers, the funny thing was right up to the day of her death she took her medcine,but forgot to smoke due to it. Thanks for your advice..

Have a good Christmas

• Posted

Hi Ian

Sorry to hear of your mum passing away. It is a hard time in everybodies life when that happens.

A merry christmas to you and your loved ones.

Tangles

• Posted

Hi i have been type2 for 12 years and i am 75 years old, now when i was first diagnosed they put me on a pill called metformin, and told me to try and keep my sugar leval between 4 and 10,try not let it go under 4 as thats when it can become dagerous,and the same goes for going over 10,now not knowing all your circumstances my advice to you would continue what your doing and if your levals stay around 4.7 or 4.8 i would not be worrying my self,also you can get one of these little moniters and can check your blood to see how it is,last of all i would try and not put on any weight as that i have found is one way of putting your sugar leval up ,it does for me anyway , just my opinion hope it helps .
    • Posted

Hi Jim, Again thanks for the heads up, I can get the blood/glucose lower, by how much I dont know .But I can get it down working out, mainly on a bike as I was told upper and lower fine, it's the old thing reduce it around the middle, that where the weight is. I could be a little in panic mode as I try and work my way through what to eat,Good fats/bad fats/Sat fats..Dont buy anything with a high sugar content, I went into a well in chemist yesterday and went to by diabetic chocalte great Sat fat was in red no go. I now have a diabetic cook book to look at..Merry Christmas
  • Posted

The Dr told me awhile back ago I was prediabetic too but Supposedly now I'm not I dont know whether I am or not supposedly I'm not at this moment but get rechecked every 6 months so I Dont know but need to find out the truth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.