What is the worst that can happen

Posted , 6 users are following.

My left knee is due for a replacement (a PKR - I have been told) - at some point in the near future (If the Junior doctors don't get their way - they are potentially on strike in the next few weeks ..  UK) - I am only 52 years old and used to be extremely active and want to be active again.....

What is the worst that can happen to my new knee - if, for example - I over excert myself ?

I mean - is it going to fall apart / with bits of metal/plastic flying out ?

I am looking for a worst case scenario .......

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

OK. The wrost that can happen is that the knee will become infected and the operation will not be successful.

Now I have given you the worst scenario, which is what you asked for, it could also be that like me, the operation will be a complete success. Think positive.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Steve!

If you've done some reading on this forum you probably have discovered that there are many different outcomes from knee surgery. Generally you probably won't get much information from your surgeon. There are classes to go to here in the States prior TO replacement surgery, but talking to those who have actually HAD the surgery is far more helpful, in my opinion.

General guidelines for activity following knee surgery is stretching A LOT throughout the day, being careful about not kneeling or pivoting on the replacement joint, and following the guidelines of your physical therapist who will guide you through the right exercises at the right time so that you can strengthen and rebuild your knee's performance following surgery.

Slow and steady not only wins the race here, but it also assures you that you are NOT overdoing it on this new knee or, in your case, a PARTIALLY NEW KNEE.

I'm 64. I had both knees replaced about four months apart from one another last year in June and then October. Prior to surgery I had trouble walking to my mailbox. Since surgery I can be on my feet walking , shopping, standing for many HOURS without pain. I am looking forward to resuming my daily walks which, prior to my knee pain setting in five years ago, were three to five miles a day and occasionally more when I had more time and energy!

Others here will have more specifics about resuming particular sports and activities. I have just been happy to WALK AGAIN and able to do the activities in my life that make me happy -- gardening, walking along the lakeshore and in neighborhoods near our home, shopping, and baking!

Taking it one day at a time and listening to your body's needs is important. Recovery takes time. Be patient with yourself.

Wishing you much success as you move forward on your new knee!

• Posted

well steve id like to start with if all goes well  then you will be more mobile and feel good with less pain than you have now .worst scenario !!! god ive been there . if you over excert yourself  you will be very sore and most likely in pain .well thats if you do too much before your ready .as for the knee falling apart and bits falling off ? well these knees are very strong and are put in with cement ,i wont go into the goery details but the majority do fantastic its a slow recovery dont expect to be recovered in a few weeks even if your op has went great ,so id say be prepared for a different life for awhile . some ops dont go as well as we hoped but many many go really well best of luck to you we will be all here when you have had your op for all your questions and support
  • Posted

As you are in the UK you either have already had your pre op assessment or you will be scheduled for one.  It is at least 3 - 4 hours, you will have the opportunity to ask as many questions as you want, even if you think you are being daft! Ask them.  They are there to put your mind at ease.

High impact sports like tennis may be off the agenda for a good while, but the thing is you won't have bits breaking off, breaking through your skin. There are a lot of people for whom the op has not worked, but there are hundreds more that have been successful. You won't find them on any forum, they have no need. DO NOT go into this with "it's not going to work" running through your head.  You need to be positive. When I had my first replacement I was so desperate I put a full leg splint, went down to the local tennis court with my children, they on one side of the net, I on the other.  Such freedom, talk about peg leg Sue, I'm not sure what hurt the most; my knee or my sides from laughing so much.  Thank goodness for painkillers.  The reason for that little homily? You can still be active! You may be in pain after the operation, think of it as healing pain. Replacements are no longer for the elderly.

DONT think worst case scenario. DO speak with the pre-op psychotherapist. KEEP positive

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.