What is this?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I go between vertigo, migraines, Menieres and other related discussions and can't figure out where I fit in. Yes I have stuffy ears, a lot, mainly my left. No, I don't have hearing loss, -according to audiology reports. Yes I've had a few drop attacks, 3-4 in 4 years, but not on a reg basis. No, I don't vomit. This is what I do experience, feeling off balance, (may not be noticible to others. It is worse in stores, trying to shop it begins. Then my head feels heavy, brain fog starts and I just want to get to a bed. I use meclizine in the morning and wait an hour before getting up. If I get up too quickly and move around a lot, the vertigo, imbalance issues start and I go through the routine, brain fog etc. I try to function, aware of my limitations, but depression is getting worse as so many things I was able to do, I can no longer predict the out come. I am slowly withdrawing to protect myself, and as many have said it's hard to explain an invisible chronic condition. Saline sprays and other allergy treatments don't help. MRI does show fluid behind my ears. And I do suffer from migraines and did before the rest of the symptoms started. HELP!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

"If I get up too quickly and move around a lot, the vertigo, imbalance issues start..".

Can you expand on this?  With vertigo, do you confirm a spinning sensation?  And is this always associated with movement?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

No spinning in actuality, just the sensation. If my meds are at the right point, I don't necessarily have it. ( Klonipin, ibupophren, fiorinal, meclizine) but when I'm off schedule or don't take them I do have the sensation more regularly. I've also considered ETD, but don't have a confirmed diagnosis after multiple ENTS(otaranologists), neurologists, dentists (evaluating for TMJ) and GP. I'm I have weakness in my right ear confirmed by Audioligy testing and all that's been recommended is allergy medicines, and vestibular therapy which I'm starting next week.

• Posted

"I have weakness in my right ear confirmed by Audioligy testing".  Can you provide more specifics?  Was it an audiogram or caloric test, and what were the exact results?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

I was finally told makes no difference. Vestibular rehab is treatment for bppv,or menieres. have app to see ENT next week to see if he's gonna step it up to injections or other treatments.

• Posted

Did you try vestibular therapy? Just curious if it was effective. I haven't gone to any Dr's for about 6 mos, because I wasn't getting anywhere. My GP knows the medicines I take and I see him. But he's at a loss otherwise. More ENT's is just more money and no ans. At least that's been my experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.