What is this? And is it permanent? Help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok I have developed a skin condition that I do not know what it is...maybe a health expert or someone with good knowledge can say what they think it looks like? Yes I will go to the doctor, but wanted opinons here first. The first one that appeared was the one on my face, appeared suddenly and was small...thought perhaps I'd cut myself shaving, thought no more of it.....over the course of a week, it grew to a large size! Then someone at work told me (I never even knew) that I have more of this thing behind my ear (large in size). I have put someone else's anti-eczema cream (Diprosone) on it....whether it is eczema or not I don't know....not sure if it is working....other than taking away redness, I don't think so. Is this going to go away with any treatment or on it's own? Or is it permenant and will it get worse? I have one on my neck (you can see it in the pics) started off small and now getting larger as each day goes by......note, this is all one-sided at the moment. This has appeared suddenly and all "lesions" if we can call them that.... seems to be growing in size and in new areas....(like it started on the face, then went to behind ear, now on the neck....where next?!). Please help, someone.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, you don't say whether these areas are itchy or not, so assume they're not. Could be an allergy, stress related or something else. But as you say, you should go to your doctor to determine what's causing this. Sorry I can't help more.

• Posted

Possibly seborrheic eczema??   try using a dandruf shampoo on your hair and face to see if it helps.   Discontinue if it makes it worse and dont over use it,alternate days are fine...it could make your skin very dry.
    • Posted

It way much worse today, so bad that I had to make an emergency trip to the doctor. In response to althea98183, no it's not ithcy at all...and to Marina Dee...I've been told by the doctor that it is most likely a fungal infection (he did say the name of the condition, but I have forgotten it)....I have been given Daktacort steroid cream and also anti-biotic capsules (Flucloxacillin). Let's hope this resolves the issue; I will keep you all posted.

• Posted

My thoughts were possible fungal infection,thats why I suggested dandruff shampoo.......dandruff is fungal as well.  Would it help the facial area if you stopped shaving if only for a short while...it looks very sore.     It could also be viral and if so, it may disappear as mysteriously as it arrived. 
    • Posted

Not really sore at all, just sometimes an extremely mild burning sensation. I am concerned that I have been given antibiotics though, as I fear this may have been a mistake on reflection; antibiotics are for killing bacteria not fungus....I should surely have been given anti-fungal/yeast tablets instead? Has the doctor made an error? He said fungal but yet I have antibiotics? Why?
    • Posted

Its possible that your doctor is trying to attack the problem on 2 fronts to see what happens.    You may have a bacterial infection that has set in as a secondary problem,so he is working on that first. combined with the Daktacort it may bring the problem to a point where he can identify it more accurately. If it gets worse you must go back immediately. 
    • Posted

Absolutely no improvement whatsoever so far....I know it's only been a couple days on the tablets and cream but I'd have thought that I would be seeing "a start". But no.

• Posted

also today
    • Posted

Dont know if you are in UK but if you cant get to see a doctor over the weekend go to your chemist/pharmacy and ask the pharmacists opinion.  He may recommend a cream you can buy over the counter. Tell him what the doctor has given you so that anything he recommends wont react badly to what you are using.
  • Posted

Hi again, Unfortunately it looks like it's gonna be a bit of trial and error. Hopefully you'll get it resolved. Best wishes. Althea

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.